Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012 >
  • Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012

• Embroidery Machine Lovers - July, 2012

Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 AM

I am downloading free designs, but when I click on the file, I get a pop-up asking to "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I feel like an idiot.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 AM

Which site are you downloading from? Sometimes it is the format of the type your machine receives it in such as pes, xxx, etc.,
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SharonTX
    I am downloading free designs, but when I click on the file, I get a pop-up asking to "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I feel like an idiot.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

TIA
    It will do that unless you have some type of software that recognizes it and the design is in the softwares directory/folders. Don't try to open it; do it as a save as and then put in a folder. Once I put the design in a folder for my software it will see it but if I just try to open it, I'll get the same message.
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 AM

Embroidery Library. I download the PES format of the design. Once download is complete, I go to the folder I sent it to and try to open it, that's when I get the pop-up box, telling me
    "choose the program you want to use to open this file".
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 AM

I don't have an embrodiery machine yet. But, would love to get one. Maybe someday!!
    Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 AM

[QUOTE=SharonTX;5355359]Being a newbie, which would be better for me to use for now, Iron on or Self Adhesive Tear Away stabilizer?

Where do most purchase your stabilizer, in store or online? If online, where?

Which stabilizer to use will depend on what your fabric is and what you are embroidering. If you do things like towels you'll have one type of stabilzer on the bottom and a different one on top. Most web sites that you buy designs from have tutorials on them. emblibary.com has projects and it also has kenny's corner; both will teach you alot about different things. I'm not sure what machine you have but like if you go to Viking's web site they have lots of infor on stabilizers, etc and google Floroni (not spelled right) they sell lots of things for embroiderying and have lots of tutorials. Your machine should have the same thing. You can also check out groups on Yahoo for your machine and get additional help there. Just start looking at these sites and you'll be amazed at how much you can learn. I've learned most of what I know by these web sites. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. People of this thread love to help out.
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 AM

I was finally able to open the files.

Thanks for the info in regards to
    emblibary.com. Hopefully, I will be receiving my Brother PE 770 this week.
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise
    And I have the Floriani Suite Pro software, still learning it though I did take one
    class (3 hours long) and learned next to nothing, and then I took a 1 hour webinar
    class and learned quite a bit, but still need to learn more.
    Quilty, I have this as well. Was it the webinar offered by Walt that you attended? I have attended one and the last one in May was cancelled. Bummer because it appeared to be a good overview. Do you use the Forums on the Floriani software site? I've been able to find solutions to my problems already answered there and, if not, the moderators are usually very helpful, Chris in particular. I find the help desk less helpful.

I feel I have a pretty good handle on editing designs but not so much on actually starting from scratch, other than creating applique or text for labels. I "play" with it while watching television with DH.

Cathy
    Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    Actually the one I am thinking about is Snap-Hoop and it is put out by Designs in Machine Embroidery (Eileen Roche) - it has a lot of machines (especially Babylock and Brother) that can use it (5x7 hoop). It is a fully magnetic hoop - top is magnetic and attaches to a metal base. It seems great - but also costs $179 to $199, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. So far I have received a yes and a no about it. ;-0

Marysewfun
    I don't have one but was interested in it for quilting a completed quilt (not quilt as you go). A lot of people reported that it wasn't really that great. I mentioned it to one of the associates at my local sewing machine dealer and told her what I had heard. She agreed without being outrightly negative about the product (and these people will try to sell you anything).
    Cathy
    Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM
    Banned

Mz,

A couple weeks ago I took a class for the digitizing software I
    have and it was demonstrated how if you take your fonts SMALLER
    than 1.4 (metric) that the stitches will just "sink" into the fabric making
    them totally unreadable and not look very good.

I am still learning the software so have not done much with it since the
    class.

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    I'm working on some patches and I'm having a problem getting my fonts extra small but still be able to read them. I'm using a Quatro2 machine by Brother. Anybody out there have some tips and tricks for "micro printing" Thanks, Mona