Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Embroidery thread for machines >
  • Embroidery thread for machines

• Embroidery thread for machines

Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Embroidery thread for machines

Hello lovelies! I am needing help choosing an embroidery thread to use on my machine for blanket stitch around applique on a quilt. Per my manufacturer recommendation I bought no. 8 but it snaps due to having a hard time getting through the thread feeds. I've lowered the tension as much as possible but the floss is just too thick. It's a juki Hal f600. I also have a Husqvarna sapphire 875.

Help!
    Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 AM

That's Juki HZL F600...dumb autocorrect
    Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 PM
    Power Poster

Are you trying to use No. 8 Perle cotton? If so, seems like that is way too thick to use thru your machine... Maybe as bobbin work, but that's not going to work for your application. If you want something really heavy, you can try a 12 wt sewing thread. Personally, I would go with a 40 wt. cotton. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
    Old 02-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Most people who use the size 8 do the blanket stitch by hand. The size 30 in a Perle cotton might be a better choice. I used a 40 weight sewing thread when I did a blanket stitch on some applique and really didn't like my results. Next time I am going to try the Perle 30 or any 30 weight crochet thread...not necessarily that specific brand. I am not a hand sewer, although I really like the results.
    Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Thank you! Yes, it was No 8 Perle cotton. I know it would work for my Juki TL2010Q but that is straight stitch only. Argh!!! I had hoped it would work for the others (as was written it would). I really want to do this by machine and not hand. I'm not that great with embroidering by hand and I want to save as much time as possible. Doing it by hand would take me FOREVER....ugh...I also want it to be perfect. I'll look into those weights. It needs to be visible stitching and not thin...*sigh*....I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing this by hand to get the results I want.
    Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM

I saw a piece on Facebook, 5-Minute Crafts on the Jan. 9, 5:30am post which showed a person hand stitching with a blanket stitch. Let's see if I can explain it. She made two marks on the thumb of the hand she held the blanket. These marks were the distance she wanted between the stitches and her thumb kept the depth level the same. I don't see why you could not make a template (stiff paper/paper board) to accomplish the same results.
    Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM
    Power Poster

You can also try using 2 strands of thread in the machine. Just put 2 spools on top and treat the thread as one when you thread the machine. I did this with regular thread (50/3), but you could also try it with 40wt or even 30wt to get a fuller look. You do need to sew slowly with two threads. I think the heaviest weight you can use in the top of most machines is 12wt, but that might be too heavy a look for blanket stitch applique.
    Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CaroB559
    I saw a piece on Facebook, 5-Minute Crafts on the Jan. 9, 5:30am post which showed a person hand stitching with a blanket stitch. Let's see if I can explain it. She made two marks on the thumb of the hand she held the blanket. These marks were the distance she wanted between the stitches and her thumb kept the depth level the same. I don't see why you could not make a template (stiff paper/paper board) to accomplish the same results.
    Hmmm.....that's a good idea, either way. Would certainly help with consistency for sure. Now if I could just get super speedy with my sewing! I have to do this stitch around houses and two shrubs that flank each house in about 24-30 squares.
    Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Prism99 I think you might be right. I am ordering a 12wt just to see but I am also getting the 30wt. I will have to make due with these I think or do it by hand. I loathe the thought of doing it by hand but I'm not going to give up yet. I'm determined. Or stubborn...or lazy? LOL!! Perhaps a little of all three.
    Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM

I would not use anything thicker than 12 wt and even with 12wt you need to really lower your tension and have like a 16guage needle and even then you will get some shredding