Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Encouragement >
  • Encouragement

• Encouragement

Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM

I have 2 very very nice machines...what do I use...the basic one I've had since the late 90's. I really just go forward and backward when I piece so there isn't any real reason to have a fancy one to do the piecing portion of the quilt. Until I had the bigger machines, I used the basic one to do simple quilting. As long as she can drop her feed dogs to do free motion quilting and is willing to quilt in sections, I've heard of people doing huge quilts on their basic machines.

There are many videos on Youtube that show how to quilt using basic machines...maybe if you qued up some of them for her to watch she'd realize she is only limited by her own imagination.

Of course the flip side is for you to learn to do some basic quilting (on the sly of course ) and show her just how easy it can be. Your practice pieces would be great at a local animal shelter for beds.
    Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM

When visiting with people who want to quilt and question their machines my response to them is "if it sews forward and backward that is all you need. A bonus is being able to move the needle, needle down and a button hole stitch." None of us need to be intimidated by what someone else has for a machine. We can always upgrade as our skill level advances, but that is a choice.
    Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM

I have been sewing and quilting since I was eight years old (and believe me, that is a LONG tme!) I have used some very simple sewing machines and some of the "expensive" machines. I believe that most important part of quilting is a machine with a good stitch. I have a sewing machine that I got at an auction for $1.00, yes, that is one dollar, and it sews a beautiful seam. So price doesn't really matter to me. Hopefully, your wife will eventually believe that too.
    Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Much good advice has been given so far, my advice may not be up to the previous level. Here's what I'd add, have your wife address her concerns with her quilting buddy. Your wife may be surprised at the machine her friend started quilting with. She, like many here, probably started with a basic Kenmore from Sears, or a Singer she got from her mother.

One other thing, have your wife look at the section on this board called "For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts." There's a thread that's pinned to the top called "Quilts Made Using Vintage Machines." There's wonderful quilts there made with pre-1970 machines. In fact, many people on this board seach Craigslist and yard sales trying to find good condtion vintage machines to use.

Tate
    Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM
    Power Poster

She needs to take some classes where they might supply the machine. and also try using different machines. Some quilters do absolute wonders on a domestic sewing machine and boggle my mind. If she wants to quilt, she can. Good luck.
    Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM

I started with a $50 dollar used machine. It was an excellent machine. I bought it from a dealer that even gave me a warranty. I sewed plenty on that machine... and regret giving it away. Look for a dealer in your area that takes in trades. They offer very good deals and ask for a warranty.
    I don't have a machine that is nearly as pricey as her friends and have been quilting for over 4 decades.
    Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM

You're getting great advice here! I started with my 30 year old Husqvarna plain Jane-r, so you don't need anything fancy. The new machines available today have some added features for quilters that make life a little easier, but you don't need a cadillac to get them. Happy shopping! If your wife sticks with quilting, you will find in the end, that the machine was the least of the financial investment
    Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM

I have a Janome with bells and whistles, it was away for a service recently and I bought a cheap toyota quiltmaster from amazon uk cost £150. I have pieced and free motion quilted a couple of king size quilts on it and honestly I have to say the fmq stitches on it are nicer than the ones on my janome. It doesn't have a needle down function, but I found if I hand crank the needle into the down position when starting sewing it always stops in that position. The machine is only one of the many tools we use, I hope your wife continues to quilt as it is such an enjoyable hobby.
    Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Simply tell her that if everyone needed a fancy machine to quilt the world would be a very cold place because there would be a lot less quilts. Fancy machines while nice are not necessary. Tell her you'll never be able to drive a car unless you have a ferarri and she will see how silly it sounds. Also tell her there are nice machines that don't cost thousands of dollars. Also most people start out with the low end machines. I did for 10 years before i got my nice machine.
    Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 AM

They have a craftsy class quilting on small machine that will show her it can be done, maybe this will inspire her
    http://www.craftsy.com/class/Quiltin...qbb&_ctp=51,43