Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The endless jelly roll quilt >
  • The endless jelly roll quilt

• The endless jelly roll quilt

Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM

I want to make one of these, too. Sounds like it takes some advance planning. Thanks for starting this thread.
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 AM

This sounds great. But I'm losing how you do this method AFTER you sew the strips end to end. then you sew the ends of all the ones you just sewed, then what? Maybe I'm just missing something.......I would love to try this. I have a ton of odd ball strips that I need to do something with......
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
    elm

I don't understand how the quilt is made. Can you tell me where to find the full directions. I hope there are pictures to help me understand the process.

Originally Posted by kclausing
    Hi, all.
    I saw a message on this board awhile back about creating a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the strips end to end then bringing it end to end and stitching down the length of it, then repeat, and repeat, etc...

Well, I undertook this idea and decided I was going to make it king size (probably should have started with a small quilt first). Hundreds of strips later and a couple weeks, I am almost done - with the first round of stitching down the length. From my figuring, i will have to stitch it down the length 5 times before it is done. But each time, I won't have as much length to stitch, so it should get better as I go.

I've got to say, for anyone looking to undertake this, the most difficult part is how you lay out the strips AFTER you stitch them. Sine you have to take the one giant strip end to end and stitch down the length of it, you have to make sure it is laying flat first (no twists). This is a pain and time consuming. I make sure that as I stitch the length I kept the stitched length folded upon itself in multiple stacks as neatly as possible, so when I get to the next round of bringing the ends together that I take the end from the first stack and from the last and starts stitching - or at least that's my plan... we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else endeavor this pattern on a queen or king?
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
    Banned

Hi, all.
    I saw a message on this board awhile back about creating a quilt from a jelly roll by sewing the strips end to end then bringing it end to end and stitching down the length of it, then repeat, and repeat, etc...

Well, I undertook this idea and decided I was going to make it king size (probably should have started with a small quilt first). Hundreds of strips later and a couple weeks, I am almost done - with the first round of stitching down the length. From my figuring, i will have to stitch it down the length 5 times before it is done. But each time, I won't have as much length to stitch, so it should get better as I go.

I've got to say, for anyone looking to undertake this, the most difficult part is how you lay out the strips AFTER you stitch them. Sine you have to take the one giant strip end to end and stitch down the length of it, you have to make sure it is laying flat first (no twists). This is a pain and time consuming. I make sure that as I stitch the length I kept the stitched length folded upon itself in multiple stacks as neatly as possible, so when I get to the next round of bringing the ends together that I take the end from the first stack and from the last and starts stitching - or at least that's my plan... we'll see how it goes.

in doing this in a much larger quilt (king) what you should have done was do it in 4 panels..then just put the panel together! Less stress on the fabric, less stress on you...quicker and just as random and done!
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by elm
    I don't understand how the quilt is made. Can you tell me where to find the full directions. I hope there are pictures to help me understand the process.

Hi, all.

google, or search here for Jelly roll races!
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 AM

There is a tutorial on this in the Tutorial section - that is where I first saw it and it awoke my curiosity.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44258-1.htm

As to planning: it's nearly impossible to plan this kind of piecing! I would just be careful that the fabrics all work together well, and not be afraid to undo some seams and 'tweak' the balance, if you discover for example that all the oranges are on one side...

My batik jelly roll was by Freedom Fabrics, purchased on Ebay, and had 50 different strips in it. I removed 4 or 5 that REALLY got on my nerves, and did not use the dark grays, which I can use elsewhere. If I did it again, I might 'censor' another 1 or 2 colours, but they actually worked out well.
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 AM
    elm

Thank you. I am amazed at how quickly I got a response. Generous caring people.
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    Originally Posted by Linda58
    Does anyone have the calculations for twin, queen, King?

I bought 2 rolls of 2 1/2 inch strips to make my DD a queen
    size quilt, but I don't know how many strips to use.

Would also love to make myself a king and twins for the grandchildren.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I wonder if you were to stitch up 2-3 of the seams for a king-sized quilt, then at one point don't sew them together but keep them divided. It would be making two quilts, then sew them together at the end. It would be a lot easier to manouever all that fabric.
    Does this make sense?
    I was thinking the same thing. BrendaK
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM

I made one using 2 bali pops, for a queen size. I had a trail all over the house! But I do love the way it turned out.
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

Whether to sew on the diagonal or not is simply a matter of choice and preference. It does take a little longer.