Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Enlarging picture for applique >
  • Enlarging picture for applique

• Enlarging picture for applique

Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Default Enlarging picture for applique

I want to make a quilt for my nephew for Christmas and I know what he really wants is a quilt of his favorite football team, the Seattle Seahawks. I found a terrific pattern that I want to piece for the background of the quilt, but what I would like to do is to applique the team logo in the center of the quilt. I can find lots of pictures of the logo, and it has nice clean lines that would be great to applique...but all the pictures I can find are way too small.

I would like to enlarge it to at least 10 times the size that I can find, what would be the best way to do that? I know you ladies and gentlemen will have some great creative answers for me!
    Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I either go to a print shop and have a pattern enlarged or use the old grid method. The old grid method is where you trace your shape onto graph paper, you then let your 1/4 inch grid square be equal to an inch or larger. You use the position of the line within a square to draw in in the same proportion in the larger square. It takes a while but it can be done.
    Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 AM

My sort of local Staples has a 24" x 24" printer. I had them enlarge poppies and print them out for giant poppy applique patterns.
    Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM

There is a way to put it into the computer and enlarge it on the screen. You can trace it off the monitor.
    Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM

You can also enlarge it on your computer, then print out sections and tape the pages together.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

staple wn't do it for you coz it copywrighted, id did one of the jets about 30 yrs ago.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM

You can also project the image onto the wall as large as you want, and trace it on a paper taped to the wall. Places like Michaels and other craft stores sell small projectors inexpensively. The glass area on them is about 4" square. If you need something larger, then you have to look into an overhead projector---the kind you teachers used to use.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:45 PM

I have a scanner, printer, copier, and I can enlarge or make smaller. if you can not find anyone to do it, send me a PM.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    staple wn't do it for you coz it copywrighted, id did one of the jets about 30 yrs ago.
    They will too. All the applique patterns I've seen in books say it's okay to copy for your own use. As long as you have that part on the page you want copied they don't have a problem with it.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    They will too. All the applique patterns I've seen in books say it's okay to copy for your own use. As long as you have that part on the page you want copied they don't have a problem with it.
    It depends on the worker bee that you get. I made an OSU (Oregon) quilt with a Beaver applique and could not find anyone who would enlarge the Beaver logo, because it's a licensed image and they made themselves the License Police. I ended up importing the picture into EQ, tracing the image, and printing out the logo at the size I wanted. It came out on several 8.5 x 11 sheets. I taped it together and it worked great for a pattern.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]436229[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails bn1.jpg