Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Enlarging Rag Quilt >
  • Enlarging Rag Quilt

• Enlarging Rag Quilt

Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Enlarging Rag Quilt

Several years ago I made a double size rag quilt. Now the owner wants me to add blocks on three sides. The flannel doesn't have to be exactly the same pattern but close in color. I believe I could make the three rows (sides and bottom), wash and dry them, and then add to the original quilt. Would this be the best solution. I definitely don't want to make a new quilt.
    Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
    Power Poster

Just wash and dry the flannel SEVERAL TIMES before cutting it - to match the older quilt
    Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM

I made a rag quilt last year and after it being used, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't big enough. I just added 1 row of blocks on each side. It is now big enough to cuddle in. I did a row on all 4 sides because I didn't have any more of the original fabric so I just used a different fabric and it looks like it was supposed to be that way. It was like adding a border to it.
    Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM
    Power Poster

i would just add the rows needed, clip then wash- that would be easier than (ragging) first then attaching- i've enlarged lots of raggy quilts- make them throws to cuddle with then person wants them queen sized instead...i just add more rows, clip & wash- easiest quilt i know of to enlarge after being finished...since i tend to clip (rag) the outside around the quilt i generally use painters tape & tape a straight edge around the quilt holding all the frayed edges together- then add the new rows, using the tape as a seam guide- then remove the tape- clip the new seam allowance- sew all the way around again & clip- then into the washer/dryer.
    Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 AM

you can also use the June Taylor cutting board to make the fringe...really, really easy...there is a tute on her website. you just need to place a smaller cutting board under the fabric and then June Taylors over...and use a rotary blade..hard to explain...but she has a video on it...
    Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Thank you so much for all your advice on enlarging the rag quilt. I'm always surprised at how helpful everyone is on the Quilting Board. Off to buy more fabric.