• Main
  • EQ 5 or EQ6 - opinions needed >
  • EQ 5 or EQ6 - opinions needed

• EQ 5 or EQ6 - opinions needed

Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by eparys
    Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i have EQ5 installed and i'm very happy with it.

i have EQ6 and i haven't installed it yet. it was a gift from a friend and i have a serious problem with only being able to install it 4 times.

had i actually installed the software when i rec'd it i would have used up my last installed 2 weeks ago.

this isn't software that you own - you're renting it for 4 installs and then you either pay more money for more installs or you don't have the software any longer.
    Is that the same for EQ5?? or just EQ6??
    just EQ6.

EQ5 you can install as many times as needed.
    Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
    Power Poster

You can't download any files for EQ6 to EQ5 and vice versa. Most free quilt pattern files for EQ are for EQ6. I have both because many of my pattern swap pals still use EQ5 and I'm too lazy to redraw in EQ6.
    Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
    Power Poster

i have EQ6 and i haven't installed it yet. it was a gift from a friend and i have a serious problem with only being able to install it 4 times.

had i actually installed the software when i rec'd it i would have used up my last installed 2 weeks ago.

this isn't software that you own - you're renting it for 4 installs and then you either pay more money for more installs or you don't have the software any longer.
    Actually you can install it an unlimited number of times, but you only have 4 activations. This may sound like nit-picking, but there is a difference. For instance, you can move it from one drive to another (uninstall and then reinstall on the same computer) without using an activation. This might happen if your disk drive dies.

The limitation on activations is to prevent software piracy. Almost all software products have a limited number of legal installations.

The use of activations is explained in the link below. If you legitimately need more activations you can contact the company and ask for more.

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ...ctivations.asp
    Old 12-31-2009, 03:28 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dunster

Actually you can install it an unlimited number of times, but you only have 4 activations. This may sound like nit-picking, but there is a difference. For instance, you can move it from one drive to another (uninstall and then reinstall on the same computer) without using an activation. This might happen if your disk drive dies.

The limitation on activations is to prevent software piracy. Almost all software products have a limited number of legal installations.

The use of activations is explained in the link below. If you legitimately need more activations you can contact the company and ask for more.

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ...ctivations.asp
    i understand fully what it is for but its still limiting the user from truly owning the software.

i can only reconfigure my computer networking system in my home so many times before EQ6 will refuse to work or i have to buy more.

this is the reason i stopped working with EQ - i do all my quilt designs in corel draw instead of dealing with the nonsense with EQ.

like i said, i have it here, unopened and i don't think i'll be installing it any time soon.
    Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 PM

I have been getting and upgrading EQ since it was simply EQ. I would go with EQ 6. Activation is not a problem.