Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ 7 + Design Wizard >
  • EQ 7 + Design Wizard

• EQ 7 + Design Wizard

Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Default EQ 7 + Design Wizard

I have been asked to do a few custom quilts here and am thinking about ordering the EQ 7. I found on the website allbrands.com its for sale for $169.00 and with the Design Wizard for another 29.99. Both of these together are about the same price as just the EQ 7 in every other place I have seen. For the ones who have these programs what are the pros and cons?? I am quick with learning on computers but have never used a quilting software before.....how long did it take for others to go through the learning curve? I really enjoy the real life design part of quilts and think these programs will make me more efficient. Just would like some opinions before I make the final plunge as money is kind of tight right now. Thanks for all and any input!!
    Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Have you used any graphics programs like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? If so, I think your learning curve will be slightly lower since there are some similarities. I don't understand why they're offering EQ and Design Wizard together. Might be useful for learning the basics on Wizard, then jumping up to EQ7. I love my EQ7. If you're committed to learning and follow the tutorials in the manual you should be OK.
    Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Yes I have used Photoshop somewhat before and Publisher. Would a person even need the Wizard or does the EQ 7 do all of the same things?
    Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM

I have the EQ6 and my neighbor has the Wizard. If you are interested in buying the EQ7, you don't need the Wizard in my opinion. Anyone else has different thoughts?
    Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
    Power Poster

I bought both, but I never use the Wizard anymore. EQ7 does everything that Wizard will do, and more.
    Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM

I have Design Wizard, but I haven't even installed it on my newest computer. It was just too limited for what I wanted to do.

I LOVE EQ7. Quilt in a Day had it for $134 on sale, but they're apparently either out of stock or the sale has ended.

I found this one on eBay for $190 - free shipping plus a free add-on or book to go with the software. One of the books they're offering is one that I've tried and it's really fabulous - Applique Drawing. But, there is also a book on how to learn to use the Pieced Drawing tools and many different software add-ons. You might want to check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Qui...item27c1ad5100
    Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations
    Yes I have used Photoshop somewhat before and Publisher. Would a person even need the Wizard or does the EQ 7 do all of the same things?
    If you're on a limited budget go with Wizard. But realize it's very limited in what it can do. If cost isn't a big concern you should go for EQ7. With your graphics background I'll bet you do fine with EQ7.