Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ 7 quilt software >
  • EQ 7 quilt software

• EQ 7 quilt software

Old 10-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Respectfully disagree with CathyVV ... I did learn EQ 99% by winging my way through. Every now and then I would pick up the book or ask a QB member how to do something.

That said, I've designed mostly basic stuff. Blocks and whole quilts, straight and on-point, with and without borders. I have also scanned some of my own fabrics into it to use. I've not tried bargello or appliqué, and I don't use it at all for quilting designs (not yet anyway).
    Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 PM

I love it and found it easy to learn.

If you do a search, you will find all the previous threads with a hundred different opinions on EQ.
    Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 PM

I love it. I don't use it a lot but I don't regret buying it.
    Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 PM

I have had EQ7 for quite a while. I love it and wouldn't do without it. However, here's what I think from my experience with other people using ANY software. If you LOVE computers and LOVE working with software, you will LOVE EQ7. If you're the type that want someone else to read the manual and then tell you how to do it, this is NOT for you. You'll be frustrated no end. And your money will be wasted.

However, if you're like me and LOVE computers and LOVE to learn new software to enjoy the challenge of seeing what you can do, then you'll enjoy EQ7.

I enjoy being able to design my own quilts instead of being stuck with patterns. Also, I've taken quilts from magazines, recreated them in EQ7 and re-sized them, re-arranged their blocks to create my own patterns based on their ideas. I can then go online and download pics of different materials and try them out prior to purchase.

I always make my own stencils using this program as well. I can drag it onto the quilt, it to the quilt, then print it out, knowing it's going to work.
    Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 PM
    Power Poster

I love it and use it constantly. When I find a block or quilt layout I like I make it up in EQ and am trying to remember to make notes to give credit to the online source. My GD's (ages 5 to 11) love to color quilts from the layout section. Last night I was amazed by the 11 yo's ability to "guess" what to do. They'd rather use the bright white based colors over my "country" colors!
    Old 10-12-2014, 08:49 AM

To be honest I've had it for several yrs but just now learning it. I go to my LQS once a month and we are learning how to create the Dear Jane quilt blocks and then in the afternoon we take those bitmaps that we created and turn them into embroidery designs in 5 and 6D Pro. The EQ7 part of the class is the easiest part for me and I have to work harder on the digitizing part. I've also just started doing the tutorials on line. One of the girls in my class said the since doing some of the tutorials it all makes since a lot eaiser. So as far as I'm concerned its not that expensive (5D was around 2000) so its worth the try and I'm sure if you don't like it you could sell if easy.
    Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 AM
    Power Poster

When I want to do something in EQ7 and it's new to me, I just go to EQ forums and search the forum. The answer is always there. If not, someone will post how to in a few minutes. It's fast and step by step. Check out EQ forum.