Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >
  • EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

• EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Hi! Judy, Thanks so much for offering the help. Right now I'm working on making the Skylights quilt from the EQ website. I'm having alot of fun, had never done any paper piecing before but I think by the time I finish this quilt I will be pretty proficient at it!!! Sometimes you just have to jump in there with both feet and wade through it. These small 6" blocks are much easier to assemble using PP rather than traditional piecing.
    Hope you'll post some pictures of EQ projects that you've worked on. Love seeing what others have done. Chris
    Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM

I've posted a link on how to add fabrics (scanning) to EQ5. I haven't posted the one for EQ 6 and 7 yet, but I mostly have to post it now. Hope this helps some of you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-118767-1.htm#3109356

Judy
    Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

Judy I don't know if you cover this in your tutorial as I didn't look but what happened to me was I didn't know you had to pay attention to the size of the pic of your fabric and when I copied my fabrics into my EQ5 I ended up months later getting a no more memory message. When I called the company she told me I needed to reduce the size of my pics.
    I did some but now I just pay attention when I add new ones and make sure they are not huge.

Another thing I wondered if anyone else has had happen- I sometimes get a message on some of my eq files that it won't let me open it. It will give me an error message.
    Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 PM

EQ6 & 7 recommend that you put your resolution on your scanner to 72 or 75. I know that not all scanners will allow you to do this. I use PaintShop Pro to do this for me, because of that, but most people don't have that either.

You can go to electricquilt.com and tell them about any error messages you get. Sometimes, they will ask you to send them some information from your EQ, but they are easy to work with, and usually, very fast.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM

I haven't had any luck at all scanning fabrics. I have a Brother MultiFunction Scanner/Printer/Fax. As far as I can tell, I can't change the image format to .bmp. I've searched the Menu settings and nothing about formats. I tried downloading a free software program that was supposed to change the formats, it changed the format and the size of the picture to something like a thumbnail size picture but still couldn't get EQ to accept the picture.
    Don't know if its this Vista computer that is causing the problems or what but I've just about lost interest in trying to get the fabrics added. And this is one reasons why I haven't been to interested in upgrading to the newer version. Chris
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 PM

I'll think about that. But, if you got the upper versions, the format doesn't matter.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Do you have Windows Paint on your computer? Or if you don't have Windows, do you have a similar program? I tried to change the format in there and it worked. I can tell you how, if you need me to. Judy
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
    Power Poster

I use Irfanview. It is a free program that allows you to change sizes of your pic. Just google Irfanview and you will find the free download. It is really easy to understand and use.
    Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Judy and Rhonda, You both are so special, can't believe I have two trying to help me! I do have Paint on the computer; I am such a computer dummy that I just know enough to get myself into trouble but the rest I have no idea how anything is done.
    I went on the internet and did a search for Windows Paint and found tutorial that told me where to find it. In the tutorial it gave some tips on using the Tools, one was Saving a Picture! Just what I needed!!! I found out I can start up the scanner and scan the fabric right into Paint. After scanning, the tutorial said on File menu,click Save. Then Save as type box slect format you, add file name and save.
    Now my problem is which bmp do I choose? This is list that was given: Monochrome bmp, 16 Color bmp, 256 Color bmp, 24-bit bmp, along with other formats like gif,jpg and some others. When I scanning and using the free program, it changed the jpg picture to a 24-bit bmp format and it was just a small option of the whole scanned picture.
    The fabric I'm trying to add to the library is a print of a rooster. I would like to try using the Custom Set option to plan a quilt. Sure appreciate any help, you'll never know how much! Chris
    Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

You will want the program that has these initials: bmp. My computer says that is: Windows or OS/2. I hope that helps. Judy