Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ6 - importing own fabric >
  • EQ6 - importing own fabric

• EQ6 - importing own fabric

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 AM

It's definitely one of the huge advantages of EQ, importing your own fabrics.

I have to admit though, it's taken me a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get the hang of it. And I still don't have it right. Mainly it's the scale that gets me. I might try taking photos of the fabric, or saving the thumbnails, they sound like excellent ideas.

Even if the scale is off, it still helps get an idea of the finished quilt will look. It's awesome. :-)
    Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 AM

I've heard about EQ, but never used it... have been thinking about it, though! If you use pictures that you find online, don't you run into a potential problem with the scale of the pictures not all being the same? Whereas, if you made all your own pictures (lotta work) they could/would all be to the same scale?
    Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 AM

The scale is often off but I don't worry about it much. When you look at a quilt you see the overall color of a fabric, usually. Because a large quilt is reduced to a few inches on your screen you don't see the fabric pattern anyway unless you are zoomed in.

This is a screen print of how a block looks in a quilt I am working on from full screen to zoomed in. The scale is pretty much correct and this is from thumbnail pictures of the fabric.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-18865.jpe  
    Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM

okay, ya'll are having waaay too much fun without me! I've gone back to work now and I think I see EQ6 in my near future. :wink:
    Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    The scale is often off but I don't worry about it much. When you look at a quilt you see the overall color of a fabric, usually. Because a large quilt is reduced to a few inches on your screen you don't see the fabric pattern anyway unless you are zoomed in.

This is a screen print of how a block looks in a quilt I am working on from full screen to zoomed in. The scale is pretty much correct and this is from thumbnail pictures of the fabric.
    You have this aspect of EQ6 down pat!!! I bow down to your greatness!!! 8) 8) 8)

I will have to try using thumbnails, next time 8) 8) 8)
    Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathy
    okay, ya'll are having waaay too much fun without me! I've gone back to work now and I think I see EQ6 in my near future. :wink:
    The way we talk/praise EQ....you'd think we own stock in the company as well as thinking it is an awesome program to own :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

This is true... but when you get it REALLY wrong (like I regularly do ;-) it can change things dramatically. I scanned a fabric in when I started that had random coloured spots on it. By the time I finished, instead of about 10 dots per inch, EQ had it displaying as one large dot every inch. And because the dots were different colours, instead of green fabric with various colours, the overall effect was the colour of the dot. So it changed the look quite dramatically.

I'm getting better at it now, but depending on the print or pattern it is still possible to completely change the look of the fabric by stuffing it up. ;-)
    Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't know if you're already aware of this or not, and since nobody mentioned it yet I thought I would. Moda also has downloads of all their fabric lines available on their website. They have their current ones and also archived ones.
    Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Pam that block looks Fabulous!! one of these days I'll figure it out! Thanks so much for sharing that with me!

I'm also going to check out the moda website to download their thumbnails too!
    Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by minstrel
    I don't know if you're already aware of this or not, and since nobody mentioned it yet I thought I would. Moda also has downloads of all their fabric lines available on their website. They have their current ones and also archived ones.

I think I did see that once and now I can't find it. Is it on the United Notions web site?