Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what? >
  • EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what?

• EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandrab64
    Best thing I did was to take the digital manual to a copy shop and have it all printed and bound.
    It is a very large manual and most pages have color on them. Last time I did some color copies, it was close to 50 cents per page. Yikes!!!! Several years ago, I called EQ and ordered a manual for $12 plus shipping. I would check with them.
    Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM

First, view the built in tutorials. then be sure you are subscribed to the "Do You EQ" website and their newsletter website, too. They will send you tutorials on a regular basis. Plus right now if you go to their website a contributor has a series of lessons you can sign up for free (14 I think). And I highly recommend you buy (they have them marked at 25% off often so wait for that) their books on Drawing blocks, Designing a Quilt, and Applique. They have step-by-step instructions/lessons on different things and I go back to them often when i start something new I haven't played with in a while. As far as printing off the manual--not sure if it's me and manuals, but the 3 books are much more informative and user friendly. Have fun!
    Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 PM
    jal

Google Kari Shell Catch the wave. On point quilter blog. Ten really good free lessons
    Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 AM

Thanks all!
    Old 08-03-2017, 02:34 AM

Kari Shell class Catch theWave is great. Send her an email and she will send you a video link each day. I am taking the classes and have learned a lot. The classes are free. I am a visual learner and it has helped me understand. I had the software for years and never used it. [email protected]
    Old 08-03-2017, 02:41 AM

Thanks for this discussion. I've had mine for about 6 months and I keep going back and starting over with video # 1 and work my way though them until it clicks in my old brain. Hats off to anyone who has it down pat. Barb from Louisiana helped me some. But we do need to encourage each other and learn together.

Marcia
    Old 08-03-2017, 03:10 AM

I have been on the fence about investing the money for EQ7 but I continually see wonderful designs and ideas from those who have it...I might have to cave in sooner or later. Good luck with your training experience.
    Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 AM

I purchased EQ for MAC computer a few years ago, opened it, got confused and never opened it again. This post has given me courage to try again. It was a lot of money spent (for mr anyway) to just sit in my computer and not be used. Will make another stab at it this morning!
    Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    they have intro videos that you can watch right in the software. I watched them all in under an hour and that really helped.

I just bought it about 2 weeks ago, and have had lots of fun designing quilts just for fun, and playing around with them.

One of the things you can do is find a quilt you want to make (an easier one) and design it on the EQ ...

I've already figured out how to make my own blocks, change the layouts, change all the colours, rotate blocks, flip blocks, etc. It really is fairly simple once you get the hang of it!!!!

I had some pink and purple fabric, and played with these layouts to find one that I liked:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577853[/ATTACH]

Then, I took a quilt that I had already made, figured out how to make my block (arcs) and then designed the quilt in EQ7. It took me a bit longer than I would have liked, but I did it in under 2 hours ... not bad for just having it under two weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577851[/ATTACH]
    marion, you've done a great job for such a short time
    Old 08-03-2017, 03:36 AM
    Power Poster

i also have the daily tips active. each time i open EQ, i read the tip and try to work my mind through it. i only do one each time so i don't overload my mind LOL