Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what? >
  • EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what?

• EQ7 just purchased and downloaded. Now what?

Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 AM

Kari Schell has classes, free and online. I just started 1.
    Susie
    Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 AM

When you take it to a copy shop have them spiral bind it. It does not need to be copied just spiral bound. It makes it much easier to work with.
    Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM

thanks quiltnan! I think I'm in over my head right now ... I'm working on triangle frenzies LOL ... I've got the block down, and snapping to the grid and all that - it's trying to line up my fabrics (that I uploaded) to work the way I want ...
    Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM

There are many free videos on youtube that I have watched. Also every Tuesday EQ sends me an email with infor. Mostly easy lessons to try. I am very slowly learning all the features. I would really like to master importing my own fabrics to where I can find them.
    Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore
    I have been on the fence about investing the money for EQ7 but I continually see wonderful designs and ideas from those who have it...I might have to cave in sooner or later. Good luck with your training experience.
    Another thing I do in EQ is redraft patterns, especially ones from Magazines. I've caught several errors in magazines by taking the time to redraw it in EQ. The magazine called for a 2inch strip around the large black/white squares on point but it was really supposed to be 2 5/8!! That's a huge difference! Now I draft all my projects!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577975[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2017-06-11-006-small.jpg  
    Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM

I have been where you are! Go over the video lessons, read the manual before you start anything. That makes you familiar with terminology and functions and allows you to proceed. Then pick ONE thing to learn - I started with blocks. that forced me to look at the libraries - fabrics, blocks, how to choose them and and add them to your project sketchbook, how to make and color a block. Otherwise, it's like trying to swallow a whale whole.

Also, as a person who wrote requirements and user guides for billing systems, and was VERY good at it, it doesn't seem particularly user friendly. Other people disagree with my assessment...either way, forgive yourself for mistakes. Mistakes represent effort, effort leads to progress and accomplishment.
    Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 PM

I also have EQ7 & have not been using it. It is intimidating. I tried the videos but was having trouble so called & got a printed manual. I just do better if I can read as I'm doing & make notes.
    Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Another EQ7 purchaser here. I got the one for Mac last year and went through the video lessons in the program as well as doing the lessons on the EQ website. I also purchased the 3 books from EQ and after working through some of the lessons I stopped playing with it because life got busy. Then when I wanted to use it to help designing a project I found that I didn't remember enough to be able to use it.... kind of frustrating. I think I need to start over at the very beginning---but finding the time is not easy since I have so many projects going that I need to get finished

Rob