Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes >
  • even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

• even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

There is absolutely NO reason to throw away money and time like that... If you give a quilt again, stipulate a minimum bid price (at least what you have into the quilt) and if it doesn't get the minimum you get the quilt back. At that point you can give them cash instead.

Or just give cash in the first place and be done with it!
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joan
    My Quilt Guild had a silent auction. I don't know if this is common practice but the rules stated that if the item does not sell, the person who made it could buy it back for $10! I decided I would not participate....... :shock:
    Nor would I... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM

I agree with dltaylor, give only if you can set the minimum bid. Some of the silent auctions set a lower price in hopes of getting a bidding war going. However, it doesn't always work that way.
    Give only what you can comfortably give, pretend it will only go for $5/$10. If you aren't comfortable with that, say "I am soooo sorry, all the quilts I have made are spoken for and I don't have time." or give cash.
    Believe me, I have had some hard lessons learning to say "No" in a pleasant way. It is not easy.
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
    Lets pretend, cuz it may very well be, that someone very derserving, who absolutely loves it is nested up in it right this very minute!
    That's all well and good, but the intention was to raise money for a charitable cause. That was what she gave to. We ought to be able to decide for ourselves where we want to 'give'...

Well, now we all know what to do when asked to donate to an auction for charity, right? SET A MINIMUM BID! We won't be caught by surprise again, will we? ;-)
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Not preaching here, so don't think of the $amount you have in a quilt. Most people have no idea what goes into quilt making. Donation quilts don't bring top dollar. You have given these wonderful quilts, hoping that others might enjoy your handiwork. They may be just the thing to keep a child/adult warm when needed. You can not put a price on that.

IdahoSandy
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

I would donate in future only to "raffle" . Putting in a dollar or two for a
    ticket is easier for people it seems, and the organization garners more money.
    Auction attendees are there for a bargain!
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I know what you mean.. we had a raffle and I donated 2 quilts... total raised was 35.00 I was so upset... so i made up my mind I'd rather "GIVE'
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM

I know what you mean.. we had a raffle and I donated 2 quilts... total raised was 35.00 I was so upset... so i made up my mind I'd rather "GIVE' them away to people I want to then go through that again. I was so hurt by this. So thats what we do now. We give them to people we see on the street that look like they could use one or to the women n childrens shelter or to the battered shelters.. makes us feel tonssss better concerdering all the work we put into them.

I know what you mean.. we had a raffle and I donated 2 quilts... total raised was 35.00 I was so upset... so i made up my mind I'd rather "GIVE' them away to people I want to then go through that again. I was so hurt by this. So thats what we do now. We give them to people we see on the street that look like they could use one or to the women n childrens shelter or to the battered shelters.. makes us feel tonssss better concerdering all the work we put into them.

People do not know the money, time, and energy that goes into making quilts, nice linens, knitted, crocheted, tatted items. That is why they go for pennies at garage sales, estate sales, etc.
    We do the happy dance when we get a sewing machine, fabric, thread or other quilting items for a very low price. We know what they are worth! We take advantage of the low prices. One person's trash is another person's treasure - and it works the other way sometimes, I am very sorry to say.