Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern? >
  • Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

• Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM

I love the colors of your quilt. It will definetly be a beauty when you finally figure it out. Don't quit now. It's yummy.
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    Do you know what bamboozle means? Or is that something I made up?

Anyway . . . I bought this pattern at a quilt show.

http://www.newleafpatterns.com/Patte...ll/firefly.gif

I'm hoping that link will let you see the large version of the picture. It is paper pieced, and I cannot for the life of me get the sun pieces to lie flat. I've done paper-pieced circles before (Statue of Liberty style). When I've done those, I've done a quarter of the circle and then sewn the four quarters together. This is like that, but the suns are sort of stretched out so that the finished quarter is rectangle shaped instead of square like the ones I've done before. I've tried all different ways of pinning it, and I simply cannot (after making five of these) get the suns to lie flat.

I'm ready to give up on it, and I hate that I've wasted my expensive batiks on it. I could quit and still have pieces big enough to use for something else. If I keep going, I feel as if I'm throwing good fabric after bad.

I guess I'm sort of venting, but I wonder if others have ever just given up on a pattern. Or do you fight with it to the bitter end? Or do you know some magic trick for me to get these suns to lie flat? They are so puckered that I doubt even the quilting can hide it. I've put so much work into the five I've made. I keep thinking if I can get just one to lie flat, then I'll take the others apart and do them again. But after five tries, I'm ready to give up.

I put it away once before and took a class. That was how I learned to do the Statue of Liberty style quarter-circle. I had no problems with that. But this is different. The sun is not a perfect quarter circle. It's stretched out somehow. There is one mark I'm supposed to match up, and I've done that. Still, I just can't make it work.

I've been quilting for two years, and I've made 23 quilts. I've never had one defeat me as this one has. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    I know bamboozle well. Used to be my GF's favorite word because GM wouldn't let him swear.

Yes, I gave up on a PP pattern one time. Found out later that it had an error and nothing I could have done would have made it better.
    Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Hearing about so many errors in patterns makes me feel very uneasy about buying any. I think I'll stick to the free downloads! At least if there are errors, I didn't pay for them. LOL. Hugs and smilesssssss
    Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Great idea for Bitik quilt. Also.....this pattern shows how to pin and sew arches which I noted on

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...circles_1.html
    Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Errors are all part of "our" world.... even my latest from www.frecklescollection.com The Garden Club has a cutting error....and some appliqué errors....I e-mailed her & she seemed quite surprised that these errors were there. I know we all buy patterns & "collect" them.... but I'm planning on double checking my patterns & kits I purchase immediately rather than later. I was with quilting friends today...she purchased a wallhanging kit last week in a shop.... opened it last night & the background piece was missing.....gotta remind myself...buy it....open it...review it....then "it can retire to the shelf waiting for me"
    Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Errors are all part of "our" world.... even my latest from www.frecklescollection.com The Garden Club has a cutting error....and some appliqué errors....I e-mailed her & she seemed quite surprised that these errors were there. I know we all buy patterns & "collect" them.... but I'm planning on double checking my patterns & kits I purchase immediately rather than later. I was with quilting friends today...she purchased a wallhanging kit last week in a shop.... opened it last night & the background piece was missing.....gotta remind myself...buy it....open it...review it....then "it can retire to the shelf waiting for me"
    Good advice. I had a Lazy Girl Designs pattern once with an error. The pattern made no sense, and so I wrote to the designer. She apologized and told me how to do it. You're right though. I often buy a pattern and then set it aside for later.
    Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by amorerm
    Great idea for Bitik quilt. Also.....this pattern shows how to pin and sew arches which I noted on

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...circles_1.html
    Thanks! Pretty pattern. I love that site.
    Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM

found this link! had to go back a few pages, but, I found this on webshots! it might be worth trying to contact the maker to see if she has any insights she can offer.
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...83530900YIuyGH
    Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM

found her email :)
    [email protected]
    Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Now that is dedication to helping someone out!!! Above and beyond. Double hugs and smiles for you Shibori!