Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >
  • Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

• Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM

So young to be so wise - More power to you - your kiddies are lucky to have such a mommy. As an earlier poster said -go forth and quilt!! Took me a long time to decide to do what I enjoy - sometimes it's a challenge, sometimes it's colourful and fun, all the time it's a labour of love.
    Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
    mim

I vividly remember when I turned 30 -- eons ago -- I had ARRIVED -- I thought that no one would be able to boss me around any more and that I was queen of the hill.

I loved being 30 even if all that stuff wasn't real.

Do what pleases you as far as quilting goes. There are a lot of quilt snobs as well as all sorts of orther snobs in this world -- Just ignore those unhappy folks
    Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM

You are right quilting is personal and as long as I'm happy with it that is all that matters. I have a long arm and usually do meandering and have started making some patterns not perfect but works for me. The great thing about the board is the help. I had a quilt on my long arm and realized the borders were really really wavy asked what to do and in a few minutes some suggestions and now unless you measure it you wouldn't know it isn't square. Just enough what you are doing.
    Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM

I am so thrilled that you have 'found' yourself. Your quilt is just beautiful. I am so sad that I was 50 before I realised that is didn't matter what anyone else thinks. And that is down to the wonderful people on this board!!
    Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Good for you! Life is too short to wait for some elses approval. Love what you do :thumbup:
    Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Good for you and all of us! I love sharing quilting with beginners and the first thing I stress is not to listen to what others say, enjoy the process, not all will come out the way you want and it's ok to leave "mistakes" alone. The seems to start my friends out on their own jorney with less intimidation. Then I show them my first quilt which to me os ok. They all think it's good and then I point out the mistakes to take out some of the "glow" of being what they see as a really good quilter. It's all about our own personal journey and the dance along the way! Let's keep dancing!
    Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by kountrykreation
    Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Originally Posted by Holice
    I have three rules to good quiltmakeing: Accurate measuring and/or marking; Accurate cutting; Accurate piecing.
    Beyond these three it is the quilt makers choise.
    Also........creativity can be in simple things. It is not always the wowiness of the quilt.
    Hanging my head down in shame for my wowiness...

I would argue that simplicity and wowiness are not mutually exclusive.
    There are only two rules that I follow when quilting (uh, or that my family follows): first rule, when I show them a quilt they can only reply with WOW, and second rule, they say it with exuberance!
    Oh I love it! Can I borrow your rules. My family hasn't been too excited about my quilting (but I really haven't finished anything yet). But I LIKE the first rule.....only respond with a WOW!!!!
    Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Pumpkin Patch,
    I am so glad that you figured out what was most important in your life. Somehow I figured that out at a young age...(maybe a few tragedies helped me get there). I have never lived to please others.....pretty independent but I do pay a price for being so independent.
    I am my own person and I quilt for my enjoyment. I LOVE bright colors......not many people do...
    Glad that you know who you are and what others think is not really what matters. A great feeling, right???
    Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Ummm, I think those know it alls were feeling inferior from what I can see, Jealous of your obvious talent as I'm sure many here would agree!
    Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM

You do not stand alone in your convictions. You learned this lesson at a young age. It took me sometime to realize that what I accomplish is ok, and I'm in no competition with anyone else unless I put myself in a competition.