Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ewwww....   I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!! >
  • Ewwww.... I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!!

• Ewwww.... I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 AM

Yuck! Definitely a lesson to be had on prewashing. I prewash everything except for canvas/upholstery type of fabrics - unless those are second hand. I don't want bleeding or unwanted shrinkage.

At least your chickens got a good supplement to their feed!
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Uuuugghhhhhhh. To the max.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 AM

Yuck!!!! I'm sure the chickies enjoyed them. I had 12 Road Island Reds and they were very good girls (gave me 12 eggs a day). I miss them alot. Sure am happy you washed that fabric!! :-D
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I always prewash my fabric. I don't want dirt, bedbugs, chemicals or allergens coming into my home. I also don't want bleeding fabric or surprise shrinkage.

Anyway, I'm so GLAD I'm a anal, prewasher. I happened upon a Craigs List ad last week for fabric. I traveled about 45 mins. and found a granddaughter selling her grandmother's stash. I guess grandmom had passed away and they were storing all her fabric in huge garbage bags out in a storage shed. I got 8 HUGE bags of fabric for $40!!! About 80% of it was quilting cottons. The rest of it I freecycled. I found a large spider in one of the bags and thought that was the worst thing that would happen. I spent the day washing and drying it, but left about 10 yards of fabric in my laundry hamper that I didn't have time to get to. I pulled it out today to wash it, and at the bottom of the hamper and I am not joking, were about 50 maggots. I about died. The fabric was all clean looking, no smells or dead things in it. But something had laid eggs in the bags...maybe a fly or moth or catepillar. Bringing the bags into my warm house caused them all to hatch. I quickly washed and dried the remaining fabric and fed the maggots to my chickens. Can you imagine what my sewing room would be like right now if I hadn't prewashed and dried this fabric???? I get the willies thinking about it. <shudder>

Another reason to add to my growing list of reasons as to why I always prewash. I don't want maggots....ewwww.
    You are braver than me, I probably would have tossed the whole basket. = UGH
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up. It was so great that those m-- were not able to spread in your home and your chickens sure had a feast.
    The majority of my fabrics are pre-washed for shrinkage,color bleeding, etc. and it easier to use the wonder under, I learned this from my mentor.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

I just do not understand the reasoning of those that do NOT wash their fabrics before cutting

Maybe if the ONLY things they make are things that will never come near water?

Glad the chickens got a treat!
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I prewash too, have had fabrics bleed or sometimes even turn into cheesecloth when the sizing was washed out.
    If I am gifted fabric, I always wash it, just in case. Have never had anything like you describe but oh what a good thing you prewash.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I always prewash my fabric. I don't want dirt, bedbugs, chemicals or allergens coming into my home. I also don't want bleeding fabric or surprise shrinkage.

Anyway, I'm so GLAD I'm a anal, prewasher. I happened upon a Craigs List ad last week for fabric. I traveled about 45 mins. and found a granddaughter selling her grandmother's stash. I guess grandmom had passed away and they were storing all her fabric in huge garbage bags out in a storage shed. I got 8 HUGE bags of fabric for $40!!! About 80% of it was quilting cottons. The rest of it I freecycled. I found a large spider in one of the bags and thought that was the worst thing that would happen. I spent the day washing and drying it, but left about 10 yards of fabric in my laundry hamper that I didn't have time to get to. I pulled it out today to wash it, and at the bottom of the hamper and I am not joking, were about 50 maggots. I about died. The fabric was all clean looking, no smells or dead things in it. But something had laid eggs in the bags...maybe a fly or moth or catepillar. Bringing the bags into my warm house caused them all to hatch. I quickly washed and dried the remaining fabric and fed the maggots to my chickens. Can you imagine what my sewing room would be like right now if I hadn't prewashed and dried this fabric???? I get the willies thinking about it. <shudder>

Another reason to add to my growing list of reasons as to why I always prewash. I don't want maggots....ewwww.
    Another reason why I don't go to yard sales or do freecycle or any of those other places. I bought a flannel sheet the other day at Goodwill and couldn't wait to get it in the washer and dryer. Too skeevy for me......
    Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

Oh sick!!! That just makes my skin crawl...chicken feed or not!
    Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Gack!