Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ewwww....   I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!! >
  • Ewwww.... I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!!

• Ewwww.... I'm so glad I prewash my Fabric!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 AM

...think i have to go take a shower now.
    Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Sure glad I'm a washer. I probably would have thrown the hamper and fabric outside for the garbage. Not sure I would have gone there.
    Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM

I have gotten really good bargains at yard sales like that, too. I could hardly wait to get home with it - and head straight to the washer. I've found sun-faded areas on folds of fabric, dirt, crumbs, dead spiders, but never what you encountered. Anything I get at sales like that always goes in the washer first thing, even when I hate to wait to get started on something with it.
    Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Oh goodness, not all maggots are bad now. they are just going through the stage of larvae to butterfly or moth lol. Some maggots are specifically, surgically raised in the labroratory and used to heal wounds, in that they are applied to a wound with rotten flesh, covered with gauze and the maggots will eat all the rotten flesh away and probably save a soldier or somebody's life. This type of treatment is used used today. I would venture to say that the maggots in the fabric came from a moth.

I am also a washer of fabric. It is always a good idea to wash the chemical out of the new fabric. I think it's formeldahide, I use to be very allergic to it. I dont' know if they still use that but they use something. It also saves the fabric from getting rotten (cotten will rot over time) since we keep some fabrics for years, it is a good idea.

Also we handle fabric on a daily basis and we handle whatever chemical is on it and if your hands are getting dry or anything, this is one of the things to consider. My fabric is alway dropped the a basket in the laundry to be washed next wash day or if lot, right then and I hang my fabric outside to dry and the fold and store.
    Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Oh goodness, not all maggots are bad now. they are just going through the stage of larvae to butterfly or moth lol. Some maggots are specifically, surgically raised in the labroratory and used to heal wounds, in that they are applied to a wound with rotten flesh, covered with gauze and the maggots will eat all the rotten flesh away and probably save a soldier or somebody's life. This type of treatment is used used today.
    Sorry, that's just gross!!! No more of this topic till after I have had my dinner and let it settle.
    Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Oh goodness, not all maggots are bad now. they are just going through the stage of larvae to butterfly or moth lol. Some maggots are specifically, surgically raised in the labroratory and used to heal wounds, in that they are applied to a wound with rotten flesh, covered with gauze and the maggots will eat all the rotten flesh away and probably save a soldier or somebody's life. This type of treatment is used used today.
    Sorry, that's just gross!!! No more of this topic till after I have had my dinner and let it settle.

That's life and there are maggots everywhere....ahahahahah
    Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Oh goodness, not all maggots are bad now. they are just going through the stage of larvae to butterfly or moth lol. Some maggots are specifically, surgically raised in the labroratory and used to heal wounds, in that they are applied to a wound with rotten flesh, covered with gauze and the maggots will eat all the rotten flesh away and probably save a soldier or somebody's life. This type of treatment is used used today. I would venture to say that the maggots in the fabric came from a moth.

I am also a washer of fabric. It is always a good idea to wash the chemical out of the new fabric. I think it's formeldahide, I use to be very allergic to it. I dont' know if they still use that but they use something. It also saves the fabric from getting rotten (cotten will rot over time) since we keep some fabrics for years, it is a good idea.

Also we handle fabric on a daily basis and we handle whatever chemical is on it and if your hands are getting dry or anything, this is one of the things to consider. My fabric is alway dropped the a basket in the laundry to be washed next wash day or if lot, right then and I hang my fabric outside to dry and the fold and store.

That's it, I'll just tell myself they were butterflies.
    Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
    Holy Cow is all I can say!
    DITTO
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Congratulations on your great buy, but not on the "extras" that came with it. I need to start looking at Craigs list too.
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I quickly washed and dried the remaining fabric and fed the maggots to my chickens.
    Obviously a quilter - can't waste anything that might be useful. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: