Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Experienced embroidery-ers help??? >
  • Experienced embroidery-ers help???

• Experienced embroidery-ers help???

Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM

I've been told to use wash away on top and on bottom for towels.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Here is some towels I embroidered for my grandson for a wedding gift. I used H2Gone on bottom and light weight water soluble on top.
    Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I want to give all my kids monogramed towels for Christmas! I have a wonderful machine that will whip them out. PROBLEM is - I don't have a clue where to start. What kind of stabalizer do I need for botton. Do I need stabalizer for the top? What to use? Color? Color of thread for bobbin? Should it match the color of the towel? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Dustin's towels and wash cloth
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]137773[/ATTACH]

Chasity's towels and wash cloth
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]137774[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137768.jpe   attachment-137769.jpe  
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Great job Dorothy!

I forgot to add that when I used wash away on the bottom I hooped 2 layers, sprayed with Taylors quilt basting spray and 'hooped' the towels this way. There is almost no way to hoop terry cloth in the hoop. I didn't use any spray on the top to hold the wash away.

Also thanks Maryb for the double thread idea. I shall try it next time!
    Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Great job Dorothy!

I forgot to add that when I used wash away on the bottom I hooped 2 layers, sprayed with Taylors quilt basting spray and 'hooped' the towels this way. There is almost no way to hoop terry cloth in the hoop. I didn't use any spray on the top to hold the wash away.
    I agree about not trying to hoop the terry, especially on some of the heavier towels. For the top, I like to use a layer of tulle (fine nylon net) along with the washaway; it is easy to clip or tear away, and really keeps the design from sinking into the loops after rinsing away the washaway, and offers support thru many washes. I pin the tulle & washaway on top, away from the design area being embroidered.

Anne
    Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by lllog
    Tear away stabilizer has a tendency to wrinkle when it gets wet. Obviously, a towel will get wet at sometime.

Regardless of what a Janome dealer tells you, and before you get upset, I sold and held classes on Janome embroidery machines and love them, use wash away on both sides, you'll be happier with the results.
    I agree; wash away on both sides is by far the best way to go. I'm right now in the process of doing a set of tea towels for a friend for Christmas. I use wash away on both sides. I've also done many many monogrammed bath towel sets. I use wash away for that as well.

I used to use tear away but then I discovered the great new products on the market - I go to JoAnns every so often to check out what's new - this is how I discovered the wash away that I use. It's worth your time to spend an hour or two perusing the products that are now being sold.
    Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 PM

nice work, haven't tried towels yet & good to know that they will last that long & still look so good
    Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
    Power Poster

I use tearaway on the bottom and washaway on the top. This is how mine look.

Don't hoop your towel, spray the back of the towel with basting spray and lay on top of your hooped stabilier. Then lay a piece of wash away on top and run a baste stitch and then stitch the design.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137839.jpe   attachment-137843.jpe  
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 AM

Placement shouldn't be a problem if you do a practice stitch out first. If you are using something too small to hoop, use a stabilizer that has a sticky surface to hold your garment. You are right about the stabilizer - use a cut away or a tear away on the bottom and a water soluble on top. If you are like me, you will sit next to your machine and watch every stitch!
    Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 AM

You need to put a tear away stabilizer in your embroidery hoop.
    Then keeping the 505 spray or temporary spray of your choice away from your machine spray the stabilizer. Mark your towel as to where you want your embroidery, your book should help you with placement, then stick your towel on the stabilizer with the hoop on your machine. Then spray a piece of plastic looking stabilizer on top of the towel to keep the stitches from sinking into the towel. Be sure the plastic type stabilizer is wash away.
    After embroidering the tear away will come off the back and the plastic will tear away or wash away. Hope this helps.
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by darlin121
    Go to embroidery library and view the tutorial on embroidering towels.

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProje...oductid=PR1256
    Cannot thank you enough for this. I just did towels w/ high velour nap and they did not turn out very well --next time terry!