Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Extra Time Now >
  • Extra Time Now

• Extra Time Now

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 AM
    BMP

Good advice for younger people, but if you are 50 something it doesnt work, by the time I would get another education I would be almost at the retirement age.
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
    Good advice for younger people, but if you are 50 something it doesnt work, by the time I would get another education I would be almost at the retirement age.
    I am 51 and that is why it is so important to be at the top of my class. I have put a lot of effort into networking with my professors and have already been offered 2 jobs after graduation. Regardless of age, you are never too old for something new, please don't give up just because someone says yu are too old. Retirement age keeps getting older and older!!
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. MAKE THE BEST OF THE SITUATION, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT LIES AROUND THE CORNER FOR YOU. BEST OF LUCK, ENJOY THE QUILTING TIME.
    Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tcharlie
    Boy do I have extra time to finish all my some day quilt projects.

I went into work Monday and got laid off. The company was purchased by a foreign company and then down sized the work force. I just don't understand. Where is the improvement our President is talking about?

I look at all my to do list and wonder where do I start. I plan on making some of those tissue holders for sure to hand out at the nursing homes in the goodie baskets my church is making. Thank you for posting the instructions.

Karen, where did you find the instructions? Could you post a link? I'd like to make some for X-mas. Thanks.

T.

Tcharlie
    Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM

How awful for this to happen, especially just before the holidays! Prayer & hugs for/to you on finding another job.

Everyone has given good advice so not much I can add except to try and be good to yourself. If it were me, Heaven forbid, I'd find it very hard to concentrate on anything but my worry about it all. Guess I'd have to ask myself, "is there anything I can do at this moment that will help get a job?" If the answer is, no, not at the moment, then please give yourself permission to be human and enjoy your sewing time!

Good luck!!
    Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Merry Quilter Your statement isn't nice at all. Whatever President is in the office I respect!!!!!!!!! Sorry about your layoff , we've all been there . I was laid off when our former president was in office,but I don'tblame him. As someothers have said, everything happens for a reason. Look to the hill from which cometh your strength.
    Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM

I can understand your frustration. The company I worked for was also outsourced and over half of the employees laid off in one feel swoop 6 weeks later. I am still with the company, but I do not feel as if I have any job security. I never know what to expect; just try to take it one day at a time and pray for another day. Sure makes me thankful to "have" a job - no more complaining about too much work. Good luck to you - try www.indeed.com.
    Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM

And MerryQuilter, I survived Katrina with God's help.
    Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Thank you for all the encouraging messages. The blind sided shock is beginning to wear off. I have a plan and hopefully someone will see my skill level and make me an offer. I have also been looking at all the stuff that is out there that is suppose to help and it is confusing, insurance help, schooling, and how it doesn't apply if you don't do this first and then .....

The Lord is my strength and he doesn't put on me what HE and I can handle.

Thanks for the prayers, keep them coming. I know it was not a personal decision because others got laid off also, but it still stings.

Tcharlie
    Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM

PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU, TRUST THAT YOU ARE EXACTLY WHERE GOD WANTS YOU TO BE AND HE WILL GUIDE YOU.