Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Extra Time Now >
  • Extra Time Now

• Extra Time Now

Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

So sorry to hear about this. Keep your head high, something good will come along.
    Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
    Good advice for younger people, but if you are 50 something it doesnt work, by the time I would get another education I would be almost at the retirement age.
    Bonnie, don't look at it that way. When I was laid off, 600 other people were too. We were also covered under TAA and they pay for our education towards a new career. Is not as easy as it sounds, but it works well for many. I think this is where I am headed. Many people have already gone back to school, many into nursing. The sad part was that the class that started in August was only people laid off from my job. No high school graduate was accepted to make room for the people laid off. I think it was unfair to the young girls who had to go away from home for a nursing program when there was one there, just not available to them. The sadder part is that many people has dropped out because they were not in school for a real long time and could not adjust.

There is no age limit to start again a new career. I am studying to be a Funeral Director within the next 18 months. I never saw myself doing this, but I guess this is my future. Good luck to you.

Maria
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM

maria,
    what are you going to school to "be"? if you have the apptitude for nursing, its a field that is almost always hiring. takes some tough training but is very rewarding.

i hope you enjoy quilting while you work through the job drought.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM

I am studying to be a Funeral director. I don't think I can make as a nurse. Maybe when I was younger, but not now. The option to stay in Plattsburgh would have worked as a nursing student, but even the local hospital is cutting down. Many people went to school to be able to stay in Plattsburgh, but it looks like not even that is a possibility.