Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EZ3 hand quilting frames >
  • EZ3 hand quilting frames

• EZ3 hand quilting frames

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

I believe that you can get them from Grace directly and I am sure they are available from other sources too. They are farily simple to make. The sizes required should be somewhere in your instructions and I just serged 3 edges of the fabric and made a pocket for the tubing to slide into and then pushed the leader into the rail and then pin the quilt top and backing to their leaders and to the takeup leader (I know clear as mud right). You can google quilt frame leaders and you will get some videos etc to check out.
    Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I believe that you can get them from Grace directly and I am sure they are available from other sources too. They are farily simple to make. The sizes required should be somewhere in your instructions and I just serged 3 edges of the fabric and made a pocket for the tubing to slide into and then pushed the leader into the rail and then pin the quilt top and backing to their leaders and to the takeup leader (I know clear as mud right). You can google quilt frame leaders and you will get some videos etc to check out.
    Thanks for all of your help. I had my husband to read the instructions in the pamphlet for me. I seem to be having a stupid day. You know, those days when simple things do not make sense. We finally figured it out. I have some ticking fabric that I will use to make the leaders. I looked on the grace frame site. Their leaders are around $199 plus. I decided that I would just make my own. I am very frugal and do see the sense in spending that kind of money when I can make my own. Again thanks for helping me through this fog.
    Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM

I believe Nancy's Notions sells leader fabric with measured lines printed on them, they look good and I think they are like $15.00.
    Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM

I bought one about a year ago and my husband and I put it up after my son-in-law put the finish on. I am like you, priced the leaders and decided I could do fine making my own with some left over ducking-type fabric! Did like MamaBear said she did. I also marked the centers of them. Mine were horiz stripe, so I made them carefully and use the stripe to be sure I am pinning the quilt on pretty straight. I have used mine repeatedly just to baste quilts so I can FMQ them or tie them, also. You have to pay attention so you don't put the quilt in backwards or upside down (ask me how I know!!!) but I can put a quilt it in myself--just takes a little time. Wouldn't trade mine for anything. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
    Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
    Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    Thanks for all of your help. I had my husband to read the instructions in the pamphlet for me. I seem to be having a stupid day. You know, those days when simple things do not make sense. We finally figured it out. I have some ticking fabric that I will use to make the leaders. I looked on the grace frame site. Their leaders are around $199 plus. I decided that I would just make my own. I am very frugal and do see the sense in spending that kind of money when I can make my own. Again thanks for helping me through this fog.
    Here are the pics of hours of work just to get my frames ready for the quilt. That is all for today. Boy was this a lot of work. I had forgotten how much work it is to put a frame together. Notice my leaders. Did not have to pay $100 for them. Wait while I post the last two pics. If you see any mistakes in assembly please let me know. Please excuse the mess. My sewing room is small and is quite a mess right now. Different projects going on.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-204424.jpe   attachment-204425.jpe   attachment-204426.jpe   attachment-204427.jpe   attachment-204429.jpe  

Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
    Power Poster

Looking good. You are going to enjoy it when you get a chance to load a quilt.