Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Buying Preferences >
  • Fabric Buying Preferences

• Fabric Buying Preferences

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

I'm an online shopper. I love connecting threads and the pre-cuts from MSQC.
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM

I NEVER pay full price for fabric. Absolutely NEVER. It must be on sale and usually less than $3.60/yd. The only time I'll splurge is when I find organic cottons on sale. Then, it's $5-6/yd.
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:41 PM

So far I've only bought on sale or from thrift stores. No way I can do $10/yd plus for new fabrics.
    Rodney
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
    Power Poster

I have never bought coordinating fabrics from a line. I will get the one special piece that "I love" and pick the rest of what I need from anywhere I find it. I enjoy the hunt or the perfect uncoordinated match. My style leans towards eclectic so I am happy finding fabric anywhere.
    peace
    Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM

I've always been an economical shopper, of everything. It was how I was raised. So I'm always shopping the sales and online, and doing my best to get the highest quality for the best price. I have come across fabric I "had" to have, and actually bought it when I could. I'd love to shop the quilt shops, but I stay away because of too much temptation. If I'm not tempted to buy something out of my price range, then it's not a problem for me. But, LOL, I could do some serious damage in a good quilt shop with new lines out! But that's my "Id" speaking. My "ego" keeps me out of the wrong shops!!
    Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 AM

I like to troll first
    Old 12-19-2013, 04:32 AM

I have never bought a line of fabric and would be hard pressed to tell you most of the brands or names of lines of fabric. I tend to collect types of fabric such as 1930's reproduction etc and so when I travel I seek out quilt shops and buy a half yard here, half yard there. I just finished making a quilt for my husband using car print fabric which took me a couple of years to find at various places. Same with the animal print fabric I collected for my daughter-in-law's quilt and the monkey fabric for my son-in-law. I have only purchased fabric on line once. I like the experience of going into a shop. My least favorite place to shop for fabric and I rarely buy anything fabric wise there is JoAnn's because the quality of their fabric is not to my liking. I use my coupons to buy thread and supplies there. What helps my budget is that I always ask for money for Christmas and Birthday for my quilt kitty and my family obliges so I have fun shopping that way. My project after Christmas is making a sunflower quilt for my daughter from yellow/brown/orange fabrics I've been collecting over the last couple of years. I also save every scrap of fabric so am able to make scrappy quilts without buying any more fabric.
    Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 AM

I have pulled back from buying 'new lines' which always come with lots of coordinates. This is an obvious marketing ploy. I am trying to use lots of the fabric I have purchased in the past because I just had to have it. And now, it is just sitting there waiting to be stitched into a quilt. I have some fabric that is old, old, old. I am making 'kits' of fabric' a I sort through things and keep them in gallon zip lock bags. I just need to use what I have. I keep these 'kits' in a basket in plain view and add to them when I see something in my stash that coordinates with something in the bag. I am amazed that a group of fabrics for a quilt just seems to come together. And, that is my goal for next year. Most of the lovely fabrics in my stash were things I just had to have at the time-and now they are still there because newer things came along that I just had to have. Action time!
    Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 AM

Thanks for all your comments on this topic. It's been interesting, and gratifying to know that many of you do most of your buying on sale. Me too. I started out years ago filling my cart with fabric.com $3.99 sale fabric, got some wonderful stuff, and now feel like paying more is terrible! I do like the idea of buying a little yardage of the one new, fashionable, trendy fabric that you just have to have and filling in with sale fabrics. However, I have learned that whatever you think is gorgeous right now, there'll be something else just as gorgeous tomorrow.

I just came across an online shop that is closing and has some really good prices while the fabric lasts. It's already picked over, but there may still be some good stuff. I ordered mostly solids. Ordered one day and it shipped the next. I've never ordered from them before. Will let you know when the order arrives how I liked it. Here is the link:http://www.sprightlyfabrics.com/
    Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 AM

I tend to purchase within a line, but I do purchase at least 2-4 yards of my favorite fabrics in the line, and try and do 1/4 to 1/2 yard cuts of the coordinating/complimenting fabrics. I also try and make sure I have an idea of how I will use it.