Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥ >
  • ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

• ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

I just got my AccuQuilt Go for scrap quilt pieces. I just have the
    2", 3 1/2" and 5" square dies and the 2 1/2 strip die. Dies are expensive, but these I use alot for scrap quilts. I store the pieces in a 10 drawer rolling cart from JoAnns (on sale). The drawers aren't very deep, but I can sort by more colors and types of fabric.
    Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I store my fabric in dresser drawers & my scrap in rubbermaid plastic containers stacked on the short long dresser. I have a very small room and share it with the computer. I have a cuting board that fits on top of my ironing board that my son in law made for me for my birthday several years ago & my sewing machine is on a desk. There is barely enough room to walk in there but it works.
    Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM

First let me apologize for the mess LOL!!! I am yet again sorting and organizing. Plan to have a HUGE destash sale I've been cutting cardboard and wrapping my fabric around it. still have a few tubs to go thru.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-236241.jpe   attachment-236242.jpe   attachment-236243.jpe   attachment-236244.jpe  
    Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt

yea thats for my ' I wanna make these someday!' patterns.. My father in law was a Head football coach so we had TONS of clipboards in his office so I 'borrowed' them.. (ignore the chips ahoy- must of been a bad day!) lol..
    I thought the cookies were brilliant, too LOL
    I thought I'd better check to see if anyone else spotted the cookies. and Yes they did.
    Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM

I have HUGE Plastic tub my scraps are stored in

Originally Posted by quilterbabe
    I have one question. The pictures of all these wonderful "cubes" with fabric make me drool for sure. Everything is folded so neatly and so organized. However, what to you do with your scraps. I don't know of any quilter that doesn't have them - yet they never show up in these type of pictures.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas

Please post your ideas here for all of us to enjoy. Also we love to see pictures of how you store your fabric.

I am surfing the net to find some cool ideas and thought I would ask all of you for your ideas. Let's have a party!
    Here are 2 pictures of my mess,I'm in the middle of cleaning it up.This is only part of it.In the Buffet and on top.On the side of the Buffet is a 5 drawer dresser and the other picture has 4 shelves.More in the closet and more in mt guest room.Connie in CO
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-236308.jpe   attachment-236309.jpe  
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM

So pretty and bright--so nice!!!!

And as I am picking myself up off the floor after watching the hilarious video----it is priceless!!!!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

I envy all of you organized quilters. Due to lack of space I have stuff in every room. Lots of large plastic tubs stacked up in a corner, as many that will fit under my longarm frame, shelves, nooks and crannies. After seeing all these great pictures I sit here marveling your space and organizational skills:-) :-) ROFL youtube!
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 AM

I use the wire baskets anywhere I can!!! Under the cutting table, ironing board and TV

Cutting Table
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]236337[/ATTACH]

Ironing Board
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]236338[/ATTACH]

TV Stand
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]236339[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-236331.jpe   attachment-236332.jpe   attachment-236333.jpe  
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    This thread would be incomplete without this video "tutorial". :-D http://youtu.be/OKiiOH5oJfs
    Having started to watch this, I called my husband and we watched it together. We had such a laugh! It's not been a particluarly good day for me and I found it a real tonic; thank you for posting it. Fortunately, my husband's fairly sympathetic towards my stash!

Many of the pictures on this thread show the fabric folded into small bundles. To those of you who do this, do you have problems with fold lines that won't iron out? I'm thinking particularly of yardage - not fat quarters. I have 3 open shelving units side by side, each with 4 shelves 32" wide and 13" deep. At present, I fold the fabric around a spare cardboard 'inner', keeping the width the same as in the shop so that there is minimal folding, slide out the board and stack 2 deep on the shelf. The problem is, I can never remember what is in the back stack! I'm loath to cut off samples to keep at the front, to remind me. I'm wondering if I would be better off refolding everything so that each fabric goes from front to back - but I get a bit obsessive about creasing!