Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥ >
  • ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

• ♥♥ Fabric Collecting and Storage Ideas (Post your Tips and Pictures for all of us) ♥♥

Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm with you on the creasing of the fabric as a problem, mostly I keep my fabric folded as you describe. For the smaller fat 1/4's, they get scrunched more, and BEST PRESS helps alot.
    Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM

I have shown mine before, but many of you may not have seen this. I have a long wall of 3 floor to ceiling closets. Only the one is quilting fabric, one is flannels, and one is fleece. Then I have file drawers under my 60x80 ironing table. There are 10 file drawers with fat quarter and scrap storage. I like all my fabric away from light and dust. Plus when the doors and drawers are closed the room looks neat.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-236372.jpe   attachment-236373.jpe   attachment-236374.jpe  
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    This thread would be incomplete without this video "tutorial". :-D http://youtu.be/OKiiOH5oJfs
    Oh my! That was hillarious! Thanks for the video!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM

The video was awesome. I've heard her song from the CD before, but the video is hilarious!! (And gave me some new ideas...)
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:39 PM

I use the wire baskets, too. I can see what I have, and it still protects the fabric from the dangers of the cats trying to build beds in it! For the most part, the fabric is sorted by color, w/ drawers for batiks, 30's, and plaids. When I need to cut, I can pull out the whole drawer and bring it to the cutting table.
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Wow - impressive collection people. It's like going window shopping online. Love all the ideas. I mainly have fat quarters due to the price of fabrics here in New Zealand and that I like scrap quilts so tend to use larger varieties of one colour rather than a large quantity of one fabric. I store in baskets on a shelf. I used to keep my fabrics in suitcases under my bed until my DH built me a shelf. Can't wait for the quilt room - daughter moves out next year so I am dreaming about it now.
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM

OMG I am having fabric withdrawals looking at all that fabric. Ok now I have to have a big stash again....NOT. Love the bins and ideas. I think Luvtoquilts likes 30's. LOL. Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by debp33
    Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I use shoe cubbies I found at lowes for fat quarters...
    Hey, I do that too!
    Are these made of wood,partial board or cardboard? And approximately what do they cost. maybe by size. Thanks I really like the looks of these. Mary
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM

WHAT A STASH! Husband thought I had too much. I don't come close. I do sort mine by color in clear totes. I have one for pinks, blue, green, red, yellow, plaids and misc. I use clear shoe boxes for left over strips and blocks--these are by width--2" 2 1/2" and so on up to 6"
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM

luvtoquilt
    I luv the shoe cubbie idea for smaller pieces.

Thanks Craftybear for starting this thread, I am only on page one but will be bookmarking.