Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • fabric glue >
  • fabric glue

• fabric glue

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM
    KR

Good grief....I see I've been "upgraded" to a "Senior Member!" How did you know that I recently "graduated" to Medicare? Couldn't be that I'm spending too much time on the computer!!
    Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM

At my LQS I bought some liquid glue in a bottle with a long metal tip. I soak the metal tip in hot water after I've finished so it doesn't get clogged up. I also use fabric glue sticks. Both are kind of expensive. The only one I DON'T like is the one from clover. It doesn't hold the fabric in place very well and I get so frustrated.
    Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 AM

I find that the metal tips work the best if the glue is thinned a bit with water. Otherwise it takes quite a bit of pressure to get the glue through the tip and it still does the job if it's thinned. Does a lovely binding without pins but do try to keep the glue out of the center of the fold so you can still sew it by hand without contending with the dry glue....that is if you still sew your binding by hand.
    Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Be careful with "fabric glue" it can get hard and stain your fabric. I only use Elmer's School Glue. It always washes out; you can buy the sticks in quanity for cheap and if you keep them in the freezer until you are ready they last longer. When I'm appliqueing I stick my needle in it to tame those fraying threads really fast.
    Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM

I have the Roxanne Glue Baste and I like it very much. It's a little pricey but it does last a long time. If I ever use it up, I may wash out the bottle and refill it with Elmer's. I have used the Elmer's and I think it sticks as well as the Roxanne's. I like the bottle that the Roxanne's comes in. Someone posted a thread a while back about using the Elmer's gel glue. Haven't tried that one yet. She said she even used it on her hair when she ran out of hair gel. Don't think I'll try that one. I do use the glue sticks for applique and I like them alot.
    Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK
    I am so uneducated in the quilting world! I would never ever have thought about using Elmers or a glue stick on a quilt. I learn so much here!
    Hey Kerry! Some of us use glue for holding the binding in place until it can be sewn. Some use glue instead of pins or other means of basting. I use glue sticks for my applique work instead of heat bond/wonder under. It doesn't leave the quilt stiff and you can move it around for a while until you get your pieces just right. I use your basic Elmers school glue. It washes out the first time with no problems. Doesn't stain your fabric.

Hope that answers your question
    Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
    Power Poster

Yes elmers work great.
    Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM

The glue with a long thin nozzle would be Roxanne's. I love it but more pricey than others.
    Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM

I started using glue sticks just a few weeks ago. I didn't have a walking foot and the glue stick worked great on a flannel quilt-as-you-go quilt I was working on. I was in Big Lots and looked in their school supply section - 15 glue sticks for TWO dollars! They were small and a no-name brand, but FIFTEEN sticks!

And thanks to Maggiemay who said you can use Elmer's on batting to baste for quilting. I had been wondering about that, I'm about to try FMQing a baby quilt and will try that.

Tate
    Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 PM

I also use the Elmer's Washable School Glue. It can be ironed and will still wash out. I think the long thin needle nose bottle is Roxanne's Baste It Glue often used for hand applique. If ironed before washing it does leave a slight residue.