• Main
  • fabric hoarding >
  • fabric hoarding

• fabric hoarding

Old 05-25-2016, 03:32 PM

amen, msewinso
    Old 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM
    bj

In an effort to downsize before a move to another city, I took 16 trash bags full of fabric to a lady at church. She is in a group that makes quilts for one of the homeless shelters in town. She was glad to get it and I haven't missed it. Win-win (0:
    Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 PM

I've put sticky notes on some of my stash so my son knows who to give it to. My son teases me, any without a sticker is going in the box with me.
    Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 AM

I too am trying to use up my stash and not buy anymore. BTW berryberry....too funny!!!
    Old 05-26-2016, 02:53 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by berryberry
    I've put sticky notes on some of my stash so my son knows who to give it to. My son teases me, any without a sticker is going in the box with me.
    LOL on what your son says. Hubby tells me I can't die till I used it all so he tells me to get more.
    Old 05-26-2016, 03:02 AM

As many have said, it is wonderful to open the closet door and find what you need. I recently moved and I too wanted to downsize my stash. What I did was compact some of my bins of fabric and also donated some that I really, really would not ever use. Why keep it? Let another individual use it. I donated some to a group of students who were making little pillow case dresses for children in Africa. They made 30+ dresses and barely made a dent in what I gave them. They gave back all of the unused fabric. My goal is to empty one bin or the equivalent of one bin this summer..... by making quilts, donations or ......... ? Problem is....I keep seeing new fabric that I just know I would use.
    Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 AM

I have two tall bookshelves, a dresser, a chest of drawers, a tote bag, and a large tub filled with fabric. I probably have maybe $350 invested in all of it! I started building my stash when our local Wal-Mart closed out their fabric section (they brought it back!) and was selling all of their fabric for $2.00/yd! Most of the rest came from yard sales, estate sales, or was given to me. What I don't use in my lifetime will go to my quilting group, where two of the ladies do charity work, such as prayer quilts for cancer patients.

Donna
    Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 AM

I've never had a stash and, honestly, don't want one. I am not a prolific quilter. I'm not overly fond of scrappy quilts. I buy for each project only. I'm very happy not having a stash. I don't have the room for a stash and after reading so many quilter's laments about being stressed by their stash, I think having a stash would just complicate my quilting life. I'm happy for those that love and use their stash - it's just not for me.
    Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 AM
    Power Poster

NJ Quilter, (I am from NJ originally!) I feel the same way, except I do like scrappy quilts and make them, but, as far as having a lot of fabric, I'm glad for those who want it and like it, but, it isn't for me either.

My son says all my sewing stuff is going to 1-800-GOT-JUNK, haha. I am going to put something in the file with my will that it is all to go to the local quilt shop for them to disburse.
    Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 AM

When I started my adventure in quilting, I had very little disposable money. It was very difficult to begin and work on projects. Fortunately, there were several place where I could purchase awesome fabrics. Needless to say, my stash steadily grew. I can now shop my stash, or, when necessary, I purchase fabrics needed for specify projects.

It is very liberating to have a somewhat large stash at my disposal to begin any project that lights my creative fire.

Nothing overwhelming here, just a significant quantity to at least make a beginning on any project of my choice.