Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric moratorium - except.... >
  • Fabric moratorium - except....

• Fabric moratorium - except....

Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM

I don't just buy fabric without a quilt in mind..... EXCEPT.... when there is a super sale and I can find fabrics that will go with lots of things. That's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago.... huge tent sale at the LQS with yard sale from the local guild just a few steps away. I didn't spend a fortune but I did find a few things that I'm loving right now. ... and the guilt is almost gone.
    Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Learning a new techniques (actually several) this week on my new serger. We are making a childs dress, one will be for charity, the other one is for my 3yr old. Now while I have tons of fabric that I could use I found this pretty purple (her favorite color) and couldn't resist. So, grandkids and kids will always be on the top of my breaking my budget rules.
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 AM

I like the gal that said "shut up, who asked you?" I have been on a fabric buying moratorium for the last two years, but when Craftsy recently had a 40% off sale on some new charm packs - well the rest is well know by all. Then Bunny Hill has a new line of fabric coming out called "Mistletoe Lane." It is going to be a hard time from here on, but may be I can get the gal to say "...go for it!"
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 AM

I keep telling myself not to buy more fabric- then I see something that calls my name- oh well, there is always tomorrow to stop buying! I will say that I have a huge stash- almost embarrassing- almost!
    Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Today is August 3, 2014. As of today I have not bought any fabric this year. I am going to keep my New Years resolution this year even if it kills me. I resolved not to buy any fabric this year at all. I have been given oodles (5 liquor store boxes full!) of wonderful LQS fabric by a friend, but have bought none so far...
    Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    Ok...i have been on a very strict fabric buying Moratorium. I have even been throwing away my JoAnn's mailers when they come!!
    Then....i was in Walmart the other day - and walked past the fabric section. They had a table out front with fabrics bolts - $3 per yard. So...had to stop and look...LOOKING is not banned. Found a bolt of BATIK....it was nothing fancy fancy - but very pretty and very nice quality. Put it down and started to walk away.
    Then i remembered my "impulse purchase rule". I have a strict personal rule against any impulse purchase UNLESS the item is $10 or less...just a thing with me (and a source of amusement to my friends) So...says the little gal in my head..."$3 per yard - i could get 3 yards and it would be allowed under the impulse rule"
    ....then the other gal up there says..."yeah,but no fabric, remember"
    ....then the first gal says "shut up - who asked you?"
    So i bought the 3 yards.

Just wondering......What causes you to break your fabric buying moratorium rule???
    I loved your post's section about the "gals", lol! A lovely batik for $3 a yard - no question, I would have bought it too! I usually will break my "fabric fast" if I see a beautiful fabric that is on sale at a super price and I know it will be just perfect for a project for which is on my bucket list. or it is a neutral that I could use in multiple ways.
    Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
    Power Poster

I have to really LOVE it...I mean can't live without it, kind of love, have the cash and
    already have other fabrics it would go with.
    Mostly, I have stopped going fabric shopping, irl or online. I am too weak.
    Why am I being so strict? more fabrics than I can sew in a lifetime!
    Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 AM

What causes you to break your fabric buying moratorium rule???

Fabric at yard sales, estate sales, and auctions if it's reasonably priced. Also if it is something I know I can't live without, will never see again, is perfect for a certain quilt or project....and this is why I have more fabric than I will use in my lifetime. I have a walk-in attic which is just an enabler (so much storage space). I live in Lancaster County, PA where there is practically a fabric store or quilt shop on every corner and those stores are so hard for me to ignore.
    Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM

I NEVER break a moratorium. Because I refuse to go on one!!

I will go on a fabric DIET, but not a moratorium. I refuse to punish myself that way, I've done nothing to deserve such a harsh restriction!
    Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    I don't just buy fabric without a quilt in mind..... EXCEPT.... when there is a super sale and I can find fabrics that will go with lots of things. That's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago.... huge tent sale at the LQS with yard sale from the local guild just a few steps away. I didn't spend a fortune but I did find a few things that I'm loving right now. ... and the guilt is almost gone.
    great that you found things that will play well with others, but the funniest part is about buyer's remorse!