Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric moratorium >
  • Fabric moratorium

• Fabric moratorium

Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

As I said before I cut way back on buying last year. Three of my four kids bought me the same ruler set last year for Christmas. I exchanged them and JoAnn's gave me a gift card. It took me until August to use it all up. They were all amazed. One asked if I was sick.
    I have a HUGE amount of WIP's. It would probably take more than a year to finish them.
    I also have 9 large popcorn tins of scraps. All color sorted.
    I just recently re-organized my sewing room. I have the fabrics for about 40 quilts-including the backings. All uncut.
    I rolled my car a month ago so need the money for a new one. If I don't buy fabric it will be better on the budget.
    How about the name: Fabric Moratorium Update, the first of every month.
    I'm new to this sight but really enjoyed reading everyone's comments about this.
    Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM

oops
    Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 PM

i love this idea! i actually made that decision in august to use only what i have with the exception of thread and/or batting. i am not even allowed to buy backing. i thought it would be difficult, but actually it is not. i went to the fabric store to stock up on 50% off thread, and had no problem not buying fabric. it was actually quite refreshing not stocking more fabric. i am actually very excited to see what i come up with. i love love love scrap quilts, so my stash is CRAZY. sign me up.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 AM

It is certainly going to be fun to see the creative quilts that everyone comes up with, can't wait :wink:
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Katey - we are going to have separate threads each month for our updates :) January is just around the corner :)

Can't wait to here how everyone is going, and what everyone has been working on.
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM

OK ....I am going to take the "oath" with all of you. I 'm starting to twitch already from the withdrawl...

..... Not sure .... I can ... make ..it ..... Oh no a sale....

...... I ok I let it pass... this time....

Maybe chocolate will help
    Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    I would but I have some lovely fabrics coming in in April from the Bouquet Gallery "Prettist Florals of 2011" on pre-order. Now if that doesn't count, then maybe.
    So, I can do my all pre-ordering now; YES. Just checked out Bouquet Gallery, a new site for me, it has the most exquisite materials I've seen, my credit card is going to get a work out :lol:.

I tried this past year not to buy any material for new projects and did not do too bad until the Creative Stitiches show, oops, had too much fun, and was buy, buy, buying.

Does buying from Goodwill count. I would be so sad if I passed up some good fabrics found there.

Will try and make an valiant effort for 2011.
    Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM

I don't think it should count if you buy fabric from Goodwill because you're doing a good deed! Right! A nice way to use a piece of fabric you don't plan on using it to wrap someone's gift in it! You know , for a quilter friend,etc. I plan on doing that for my daughter who wants to get into quilting and sewing.
    Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM

I am very interested in doing this, have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now.
    I have a question though...I belong to a group that swaps each month that I usually have to buy a couple of yards for. Will I have to stop the swap?
    Old 12-26-2010, 01:38 PM

^^^It's all up to you, really. You have to take a look at "how" you spend, and what you want to do away with.

For me, I love sale shopping. So, I couldn't say "Ooooonly if on sale!" because that would defeat the purpose (for me). So, whatever you decide to do should be what is right for you. If you have a swap that you do, do you HAVE to buy new yards, or do you LIKE to? Could you limit yourself to only buying for that specific thing? Or, is it POSSIBLE to shop your stash first?

It's been an interesting experience for me so far. 26 days without a fabric purchase. :D