Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011 >
  • Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

• Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

i've been cutting apart old jeans. I have plenty between my husband any my son! not sure what I'll do with them yet, but i'm sure when the time comes to use them, a pattern or idea will scream at me to use them up!
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM

I've made a ton of jeans quilts. My favorite was a nine patch with a jean pocket in the center square, backed with flannel, warm and cozy!
    Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM

I didn't commit until the New Year and I haven't had a car this month due to totaling mine, but I have resisted online shopping and buying from board members. They are killing me with batiks and some florals, but I'm staying strong. I had to make two trips to the LQS for narrow sashings. I came out with ONLY the 3/8 of a yard I went in for. Thank you for the wake up call.
    Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Cool to read all these ideas-from-stash! I love it.

I seem to have come through my doldrums, settling into a nice calm pace. Nice productive day today.

Finished quilting my latest quilt this week, now stitching down binding. Funny color on the back, I need good daylight for this.

Put a proper hem on my laundry door curtain. I made and hung that curtain about a year ago and it's been patient ever since, dangling its loose end. Now it's beautiful, and complete.

Cut strips from the 21 fabrics I pulled from stash the other day, started sewing strata for bargello. Fun!

Also ordered 6yds of fabric from Thousands of Bolts. It's for borders for a quilt I'm making, so I'm allowed, under my rules. (I know some of you buy zero at the moment, it's not what I'm doing but great kudos to you!)

I'm kind of proud of myself with this purchase. After sifting through Thousands I had 13 fabrics in my basket, all similar. Previously I would have been likely to buy all of them... Not now, yippie! I just trimmed my selection down and down patiently until I had the six I feel I'll need and my choice looked just right.

It all feels so good. :)
    Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I didn't commit until the New Year and I haven't had a car this month due to totaling mine, but I have resisted online shopping and buying from board members. They are killing me with batiks and some florals, but I'm staying strong. I had to make two trips to the LQS for narrow sashings. I came out with ONLY the 3/8 of a yard I went in for. Thank you for the wake up call.
    :thumbup:
    Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM

My update: so far, so good.

I just got the next IRR top in the mail and I know I have some fabric from my stash that will work, but probably not enough. I'll buy for it if I have to but the challenge will be to avoid overbuying simply to pad my stash. I'll be going to Fabric Depot but may need to wear some blinders. There's so much there with beautiful potential! :lol:
    Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM

I started on Dec. 1, so far so good. I'm taking a class tomorrow for a lop-sided log cabin quilt that uses scraps so hopefully I'll be using up lots of bits and pieces.

Marie M.
    Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Well so far so good for me. In December my son and I drove to our nearest large town and he dropped me at a large fabric outlet store, I had to buy backings, told him if I bought any other fabric he could make me walk home (its 100 kilometres or about 60 miles I think). He actually checked my bag...... phew lucky I only bought backing fabric.
    I made 7 charity quilt tops in December and worked out a system to use all my scraps not just pull the fabrics I like. I went through all my fabric bins and pulled out all my fat quarters and put them in a tub then I pulled out anything less than a fat quarter and dragged that tub into my sewing room. (All my fabric is stored in a store room) Then the fun began as I color coded and stacked everything on the spare bed. THEN as I began making scrappy quilt tops I would go through each stack and pull out the smallest piece and USE IT UP, if there was enough left over I cut squares for nine patch blocks (have 38 already) and the smallest scraps I sewed onto paper strips to be either used in borders or tube blocks later.
    I have had to stop sewing and start quilting otherwise I am going to be overwhelmed with how many tops needing to be finished. Quilted one and hope to get another quilted this weekend.
    Stay strong !!!
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Keep up the good work everyone. Together we can do it.
    I'm hanging in there, bought a few pieces from our guild's garage sale for WIPs I am working on for Home of the Brave quilts.
    This past week,A quilt angel brought me two copy paper boxes full of fabrics. I will use some for HOTB, some for school bags for missions, some for mission quilts, and a few for small quilt backs.

Not having a car has made it easy for me to stay out of the LQS. :-) Still need to finish a UFO for Jan.

My new motto is "a finished quilt is better than UFO's or PIGS"
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 PM
    Power Poster

So far, so good....I promised no florals (I have an abundance!). Despite seeing several "screaming bargains", I have been strong. Mid-year I will be using up as much floral from my stash as I can (two, maybe three quilts). I went to Textile Traders yesterday and only bought thread, so I'm feeling pretty happy with myself!