Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011 >
  • Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

• Fabric Moratorium Update - Jan 2011

Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by stpatmom
    i've been cutting apart old jeans. I have plenty between my husband any my son! not sure what I'll do with them yet, but i'm sure when the time comes to use them, a pattern or idea will scream at me to use them up!
    I was cutting our old jeans into 6 1/2" squares - not knowing what I was going to do with them either - just wanted to get rid of the PILE of old jeans.

I used a large amount of the squares to make "corn bags" to heat up in the microwave to keep our hands warm. I sewed around three sides, turned it right side out, put in regular popcorn, turned the opening down towards the inside, and sewed it closed. They're PERFECT SIZE for your pockets.
    Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Was at my LQS yesterday for a sew in. I did not buy any fabric. I did buy three patterns. Does that count? :lol: Have to keep my LQS in business.
    Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 AM

I am so proud of you guys! Keep up the good work. I hate I am not able to join you guys. I need help bad.
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM

I joined last Thursday. Yesterday, I got three "newsletters" with offers. I looked, but didn't buy. For me I'm adding, remove myself from newsletters except for Jinny Beyer and Harriet Hargrave. All of you are so productive. Right now I don't get much time to quilt. So I have to stop buying. There is no room for any more! Not that I have that much. But there is just so much room. My goal is to finish my daughter and son-in-law's 10th anniversary king size quilt by May. They'll be married 17 years in July! You inspire me!
    Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM

I'm back! It is now Sunday. On Saturday I was tempted to buy a kit I saw in a magazine. I've not been renewing my subscriptions. From now on I'm only buying magazines and/or books for birthday or Christmas gifts. Like this board, they are fun and I enjoy them, but I need to quilt. I rarely go to LQS because of arthritis. This moratorium has really helped me realize how easily I give in to temptation and how I need to get away from temptation. Thank you.
    Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Hi all! Just found this thread and would like to join in all the fun. I plan to follow the original rules. So far this year - a whole whopping 16 days - I haven't purchased any quilting supplies. 8 > )
    Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Today I made a carrying case for my new laptop. Used only small leftover pieces of fabric and batting. I'm feeling very smug with all the money I'm saving LOL

Pat
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM

I was snowed in for several days off and on a few weeks ago so I made this project. I had all the fabrics and bought the pattern over a year ago. I planned to do it last winter but we never got snowed in (this year has more than made up for it). Now that I've been over 6 weeks not buying any fabric I just don't feel the urge to go shopping, its like I feel I can make due with what I have...and I can.

Marie M.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-162005.jpe  
    Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 PM

I signed up for a bag class in the morning quilt guild. It is a members teaching member fundraiser for the guild. I figured I could get the fabrics out of my stash, which I can, however, it requires the only weight iron on interfacing I don't have in my stash.
    The evening guild has a yearly challenge. The required fabric to be used is not a color I usually have in my stash, so I have started going through the shelves to see what I can use with it and will set it aside until I make a decision on what I am going to do. What is in my stash might help me come up with an idea. This, too, is a fundraiser for the guild. (I got second place last year so really want to try again.) It is due in June.
    Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
    I was snowed in for several days off and on a few weeks ago so I made this project. I had all the fabrics and bought the pattern over a year ago. I planned to do it last winter but we never got snowed in (this year has more than made up for it). Now that I've been over 6 weeks not buying any fabric I just don't feel the urge to go shopping, its like I feel I can make due with what I have...and I can.

Marie M.
    Hi MarieM
    I love that pattern, is there a name????, I love challenging myself, with patterns that are outside the box