Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric not printed straight >
  • Fabric not printed straight

• Fabric not printed straight

Old 08-04-2024, 03:18 PM

Sadly, I went to look at Sharon Schambers' quilts and found she passed away in 2023. The world has lost another great Quilt Artist. I too took a class from her, she was amazing.
    Old 08-04-2024, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    Sadly, I went to look at Sharon Schambers' quilts and found she passed away in 2023.
    Where did you find this information? I searched and searched and couldn't find anything other than another Sharon Schamber in Hawaii. Wasn't the right Sharon, though.
    Old 08-05-2024, 03:15 AM
    Reb

This is a reply for you all!. A huge thank you! It’s so nice to come to fellow quilters and receive reinforcement that others have gone through dealing with this too. I have ripped fabric. I’ve ended up tossing a piece, just recently out. A directional, I think I’ll stay away totally from stripes and plaids. Fortunately I don’t have much of those in my stash. That would solve some problems. It makes sense to use problematic fabrics in smaller pieces, I had not thought of that solution to not waste the fabric.
    I feel better about the whole issue so I appreciate you all very much!
    Old 08-05-2024, 05:24 AM

Default TeXtile Science college course -Textile Major

We were taught to not distort grain. The act of ripping can distort fabric and not just on the edge. Find true grain by pulling a thread if that is important to you.
    Old 08-05-2024, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    Sadly, I went to look at Sharon Schambers' quilts and found she passed away in 2023. The world has lost another great Quilt Artist. I too took a class from her, she was amazing.
    I was poking around looking at her quilts. And I found that info ....but I cannot find it again to verify. I hope I did not post this in error. I did find her Facebook page and the last entry was in 2021 and it was about how she washed one of her quilts (It was hanging and she was using a hose) I also looked at her daughter's website Purpledaisiesquilting but could not find info on Sharon. So I don't really know if the info I posted yesterday was accurate. I would remove it if I could. Oh, boy. This is interesting. I just found the statement again. It was in a copilot post about Sharon Schamber the quilter and at the end of that is where I found the statement about her passing away. In that post, it gave me a link to the obituary..but is was not for Sharon Schamber the quilter, it was for a Sharon in Hawaii Oops! Copilot makes mistakes too!

Last edited by sewingpup; 08-05-2024 at 06:42 AM.
    Old 08-07-2024, 03:16 AM
    Reb

Default Oh yes

Originally Posted by kalady
    We were taught to not distort grain. The act of ripping can distort fabric and not just on the edge. Find true grain by pulling a thread if that is important to you.
    I remember this and I can see a distortion in the grain when I rip. I do end up losing more fabric cutting back to the point that lays flat again and the grain matches. I shall try the pulled thread. It is more difficult so I haven’t done it. And has not been brought to my attention for so long, thanks for the reminder! My grandmother probably is the one who taught me that.
    Old 08-07-2024, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    The only thing I've figured out to do with plaids or checks that are off grain is to use them by cutting on the bias (which doesn't necessarily have to be true bias depending on what you are doing with it)
    That's a great idea! I would not have thought of it myself -- thanks!