Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM
    Banned

It is very sad when things cost to much, the only way I can quilt is by the very wonderful donations that the ladies and Doug have donated to me. I hope one day I am able to give back. as it stands, I would not even be able to by thread. My thought on all this is, What happens when people can not help those people out who can not even buy a cheap yard of fabric? People like me, would not be able to quilt at all, and that breaks my heart even more than its been broken in the last year. Because even though it hurts me to quilt, I so enjoy what I learn from all of you, and what I can create through me. God bless all of you. Penny
    Old 05-29-2010, 01:19 PM

EGAD!! Boycott sounds like a good idea but if you look at the end of the bolt just about all fabrics come from overseas and especially Asia. Personally, I've been on a "Buy American" kick and have been doing Connecting Threads. Let's keep the money at home and see if we can get some people to work! American grows cotton and with so many quilting these days I wonder if we could make a dent?
    Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 PM

EGAD! Boycott sounds like a good idea but if you have ever looked at the end of the bolt most of our fabrics come from overseas and especially Asia. I've been on a "Buy American" kick and am using Connecting Threads a lot. We grow cotton here. With all the people that quilt, we need to see if we can get more fabrics made here and put people to work!
    Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 PM

EGAD! Boycott sounds like a good idea but if you have ever looked at the end of the bolt most of our fabrics come from overseas and especially Asia. I've been on a "Buy American" kick and am using Connecting Threads a lot. We grow cotton here. With all the people that quilt, we need to see if we can get more fabrics made here and put people to work!
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM

I was in Walmart today and the prices did go up but the sales lady said it was less than a dollar a yard. They didn't seem to have as much fabric as they use to, but she said they haven't heard about phasing it out, so maybe they will get more in.
    I also went to Joann's and the two sales people I talked to didn't know how much the fabric would be going up. I guess it's just "wait and see".
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM

It is hard enough to pay $8-9.00 a yard a LQS, but at Jo'Ann's? I think not.
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM
    Power Poster

My BF wentrummaging yesterday, early and found me a box of scraps, for 2.00! I am so excited, dont find it around here much!
    Old 05-30-2010, 02:44 AM

[quote=garysgal]I was in Walmart today and the prices did go up but the sales lady said it was less than a dollar a yard.

When you consider WM's better fabric is around $4.44, a rise a $1.00 per yard is a pretty big jump.....22%.

Think what they are making on the lower priced fabric.....
    Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 AM

After going to my Walmart here in town, prices don't seem too bad-not that great, but it'll do cause everywhere else is sky high in price! I have found some great buys there, so I'm not complaining yet....... :wink:
    Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Does anyone know why fabric prices are going up? Is there a shortage of cotton? When "they" want to raise gas prices, there is always a shortage.