Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 PM

I don't think I like that.
    Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM

[quote=MistyMarie]I am wondering now if Jo-Anns will stop doing their 40% off fabrics sales now, or just increase the base price.

A local ( I don't know if it's just Californian or westerns states) quilt "chain" store, Beverly's, has excellent quality quilt fabric. They have monthly flyers with coupons in them. They used to have a40% off one item (includes one cut of fabric) every month, plus sales on certain quilting fabrics monthly. Almost a year ago, their coupons went down to 30% and now they don't have coupons for fabric and rarely have sales on fabric. Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot or what? I used to buy the majority of my fabric there, but haven't bought anything in there since they stopped the coupons.

In our neck of the woods of California, LQS prices have been at $10 a yard for almost a year. Yikes! I wonder what they will be now!
    Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 PM

I saw a sign at Joann that said Fabric 9.99 - 12.99 /yd. I never found the fabric that was priced like that but it made me wonder if it's 12.99, what will the quilt stores be like. Very discouraging.
    Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM

None of the local shops in this area raise their fabric prices across the board on goods they already have in stock. If they pay more, they charge more, but they never raise prices on what they have in stock.

I've heard from several sources that the manufacturers will be weaving narrower goods and charging the same prices in order to keep their profits the same with rising expenses, however. Sort of like the grocery industry has been doing for a very long time. That could really affect yardage computations!
    Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
    IMO it's just wrong to mark up the fabric already there, the fabric they got for the lower price.
    I agree. But it's the same with gasoline - if the market is "going to go up" because of some political or environmental problem now, then they go ahead and raise all the prices of all the gasoline Now, even though the stuff they are selling now was not subject to the economic pressures that they will "need" to raise the prices for on future gas.
    Know what I mean? Any excuse, raise all prices now.
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
    IMO it's just wrong to mark up the fabric already there, the fabric they got for the lower price.
    isn't this the same with gasoline? what's in the pumps, they got for the lower price but then mark it up..almost every day !!!!!!!!

I guess it's going to be the same with the fabric.......
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    Frankly I cannot bear to touch the WM or JoAnn fabrics. I have been strictly high quality quilt shops! The prices have hiked up - but it is worth it in the long run. My quilts are made to keep. My one and only WM fabric quilt was brutally destroyed in the washer. All that work in a ball.
    I shop groceries at Aldi's - I buy discount or sale on clothing, home repairs and I keep my thermostat low in the winter and high in the summer. But my fabric habit will not suffer. My DH has a similar attitude about his beer and vehicle.
    LOL!!This sounds like me... I dress almost exclusively from goodwill, but I MUST have the expensive stuff for my fabrics!!! I can't bear the idea of having all that work (lol...I never finish anything :mrgreen: ) ruined...
    I have worked in a JA, so I do own their fabrics, and occasionally can find something nice...
    Grocery shopping...whats that?
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 AM

MY LQS is having a sale this Menorial Day weekend.
    I better stock up while I'm there :)
    I guess the gas prices are causing everything to go up.
    Guess our stashes will come in handy for sure.
    More scrappy quilts will be made this year.
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:22 AM

What I do not like about it, is where I work. Have not had a pay increase in several years.
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    None of the local shops in this area raise their fabric prices across the board on goods they already have in stock. If they pay more, they charge more, but they never raise prices on what they have in stock.

I've heard from several sources that the manufacturers will be weaving narrower goods and charging the same prices in order to keep their profits the same with rising expenses, however. Sort of like the grocery industry has been doing for a very long time. That could really affect yardage computations!
    In that way, our area is also blessed. No change in the price of fabric already in the shops...

As to narrower fabric, guess we will have to go back to figuring yardage as we used to... I remember the 36" goods.