Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 AM

Well I am thankful that I found all the stash that I did at Mom's house......I am such a "cheapskate" there is no way I can afford to pay up to $10.00 a yard for material at our LQS. The sad part of this is we make our quilts to give to charity or a family member and that will even have to slow down as we will not be able to afford it.
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 AM

well, in our area, gas has come down (2.55) for the holiday weekend and that is unusual. As to fabric prices going up, we'll probably being using our stashes till we face the fact that the price has risen! We'll keep an eye on it and when the price is right, to US, we'll snatch it. Just wish the raise in prices of any goods would filter back to where the products started, in the fields or factories. :)
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I saw a sign at Joann that said Fabric 9.99 - 12.99 /yd. I never found the fabric that was priced like that but it made me wonder if it's 12.99, what will the quilt stores be like. Very discouraging.
    I have noticed for several years that many of the "designer" quilting cottons at JoAnns are the same price as the LQS. In the $8 to $10 per yard price range. It was only their keepsake calicos that were usually in that $4 range and it has been my experience that those just don't hold up, terrible fading and sometimes just falling apart with normal use. I quit buying at Joann's years ago (unless it was solid Konas on sale) because I could find better quality at comprable price in an LQS and I get much better service in any LQS then I ever got in JoAnns.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM

Same here Feline Fanatic, I used to buy fabric at JoAnns. But it seemed like the fabrics were thinner every time you went into the store. I stopped buying there as well. (Except Kona solids, depends how these do quality wise) And shop my LQS whenever they have sales. I'd rather have better quality fabrics even though I buy less yardage at the LQS. Plus I like to promote the small businesses in our area than drive the 35 miles to the larger stores.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 AM

The sales will start when our purchasing stops. We all probably have enough in our stashes to keep on quilting without buying for a year. I refuse to pay $10 per yard. There are lots of places selling quality quilt fabric for $4.99...you just have to search. Luckily for me I have Old Town Quilts..her fabric is always $4.99. (Sometimes the designs are 6 months or a year old)...but that doesn't bother me.
    D in TX
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 AM

I agree stash using. I was in all of the above, Joanns, Hancocks, and Wally's, a big increase in all here. I just can't believe with the economy the way it is, they are gouging us again. I have walked around in all three stores, had my eye candy and left without even a pack of needles.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 AM

Isn't it interesting that the stores are changing the tags on fabric that was already in the store and purchased by them at a lower price..,.they are taking their cue from the Gasoline Stations.
    D in Tx
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 AM

Something doesn't sound right about this.

If the fabric is already in the stores, then the store has already paid the distributor and for S & H.

I can understand new fabric coming in that is not on the shelves yet being marked up.

It is a little like gas prices- sell what's in the tanks first before raising the price of the new stuff. If the price goes down, we all are happy because we buy more and use more.

Just something wrong with this picture.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I quit buying at Joann's years ago (unless it was solid Konas on sale) because I could find better quality at comprable price in an LQS and I get much better service in any LQS then I ever got in JoAnns.
    This I agree with 100%. Service ... LQS will close without paying customers. I bought netting at JoAnns years ago and asked if it was the same thing as crinoline - the cutter had no idea what I was talking about - she only learned what muslin was the day before.

I don't mean to dismiss others' frugality at all ... this is a personal choice all quilters need to make. I go to sales at LQS ... I don't buy two yards when I can get away with 1-1/4 yards. Cut carefully and with a small bit of stinginess. I would look at some JoAnns fabric to get lucky and find some nice "quality" fabric - but that was not a normal occurrence. If WM has fabric you can work with and it is a charity quilt - then by all means. But if I give a quilt to a young married couple or a new baby in my family - I am making something I can outlive.

PS there are plenty of ways to get high quality fabric without sacrificing your wallet. But I know the difference with the fabric from LQS and WM and I will not compromise.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 AM
    Google Goddess

big increase, that is terrible