Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 AM

I always look at the sale fabric in any LQS first. Usually, I can find what I am looking for, which is usually just something to take home!!! I have a large stash and this will be a good time to start utilizing it. Won't cost me a dime! I will continue to search ebay and etsy and other online stores, many times you can find the latest fabrics on sale at good prices. Even if you have to pay shipping. It's a sad day for us quilters!!!
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 AM

I live in Canada - our prices are incredibly higher than those in the US. I order online more often than visiting LQS. Their prices may be $15.00 a yard but online I can usually find it for under $10.00 a yard and with shipping, I'm still saving money.
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM

I used to work for JoAnn's last year and if what you were buying was close to the end of the bolt, they would sell you what was left (if under 1 yard ) at half price! Say you wanted 2 yards and there was 2 3/4 yards on the bolt-you could get the 3/4 yard for 1/2 price. If you really like the fabric and could use more, it would be worth asking. If it is less than a yard left, they are just going to remnant it out and sell it at 50% off anyway.
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 AM

I told you all last month I had heard this was going to happen---if they keep up, they will price themselves out of business. I too am glad I have a stash. I have whittled it down, but am going to be much more selective from now on on what I get rid of.
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

One of Our Local Walmarts quit selling Fabric I may just have to start using my presious Stash
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM

Besides quilting fabric going up it will also effect clothing prices. The economy is so called recovering and now we will see prices going up on every thing except our wages!
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty Chick
    I used to work for JoAnn's last year and if what you were buying was close to the end of the bolt, they would sell you what was left (if under 1 yard ) at half price! Say you wanted 2 yards and there was 2 3/4 yards on the bolt-you could get the 3/4 yard for 1/2 price. If you really like the fabric and could use more, it would be worth asking. If it is less than a yard left, they are just going to remnant it out and sell it at 50% off anyway.
    At some Joann's you have to be "crafty" when it comes to this policy. One time, I'd asked for X yardage and there was less than a yard left on the bolt so I asked the cutter if she'd apply the 50% to what was left. She told me that she could offer it to me but I couldn't ask. _ :? _
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 AM

[quote=Quilting Nonnie]
    Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I am wondering now if Jo-Anns will stop doing their 40% off fabrics sales now, or just increase the base price.

A local ( I don't know if it's just Californian or westerns states) quilt "chain" store, Beverly's, has excellent quality quilt fabric. They have monthly flyers with coupons in them. They used to have a40% off one item (includes one cut of fabric) every month, plus sales on certain quilting fabrics monthly. Almost a year ago, their coupons went down to 30% and now they don't have coupons for fabric and rarely have sales on fabric. Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot or what? I used to buy the majority of my fabric there, but haven't bought anything in there since they stopped the coupons.

In our neck of the woods of California, LQS prices have been at $10 a yard for almost a year. Yikes! I wonder what they will be now!
    That's very interesting you wrote this. I signed up for Beverly's newsletter and flyer thinking I 'd receive some coupons similar to other chain sales and I've not seen anything decent:< Since the store is a 45 min. drive each way, I've not done the drive. No motivation for me.
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM

At some Joann's you have to be "crafty" when it comes to this policy. One time, I'd asked for X yardage and there was less than a yard left on the bolt so I asked the cutter if she'd apply the 50% to what was left. She told me that she could offer it to me but I couldn't ask. _ :? _[/quote]

I had that encounter too at a Joann's. I live Washington and the governor recently put in affect tax on bottled water and candy. She thinks this will help the state's budget. Average candy bar now at Walmart here is 80 cents each. Yes, I've noticed fabric has taken a jump in price too. With crime on the raise, I hope I don't hear about fabric stashes being stolen. Don't talk too loud about your stash, you don't know who is listening.
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 AM

I am soooo tired of hearing about all the price increases on things that we HAVE to have, yet, around here there sure hasn't been any wage increases!