Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

OMG! I am moving 1/2 way across the country in a few weeks or so going from a 4 bedroom house to a 30 ft RV and was just going thru my fabric today (and all next week) to decide what I wanted to keep and trying to decide what to do w/the rest after DGD picks out what she wants. I better rethink possible storage till I can use it up a little at a time. I won't be able to afford to build it up a stash again. Thanks for the Heads up.
    Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 AM

I have been shopping sales on sheets and flannel sheets. I can find cheap ones on a blow out that make great backings! And soft to! Second hand stores for vintage cloth. You would be amassed on what you can find at times...
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Quilting Nonnie, I just had to say "HI". I'm in Novato. Nice to "meet" you. Sarah in Northern CA

[quote=Quilting Nonnie]
    Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I am wondering now if Jo-Anns will stop doing their 40% off fabrics sales now, or just increase the base price.

A local ( I don't know if it's just Californian or westerns states) quilt "chain" store, Beverly's, has excellent quality quilt fabric. They have monthly flyers with coupons in them. They used to have a40% off one item (includes one cut of fabric) every month, plus sales on certain quilting fabrics monthly. Almost a year ago, their coupons went down to 30% and now they don't have coupons for fabric and rarely have sales on fabric. Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot or what? I used to buy the majority of my fabric there, but haven't bought anything in there since they stopped the coupons.

In our neck of the woods of California, LQS prices have been at $10 a yard for almost a year. Yikes! I wonder what they will be now!
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 AM

You are so funny...I got a good chuckle....I can just see it in the headlines now....woman arrested for stealing fabric from her neighbor! Lucky for you guys that have a handsome fabric stash. Not me, I've just started "collecting".
    Sarah in Northern CA

Originally Posted by adrianlee
    At some Joann's you have to be "crafty" when it comes to this policy. One time, I'd asked for X yardage and there was less than a yard left on the bolt so I asked the cutter if she'd apply the 50% to what was left. She told me that she could offer it to me but I couldn't ask. _ :? _
    I had that encounter too at a Joann's. I live Washington and the governor recently put in affect tax on bottled water and candy. She thinks this will help the state's budget. Average candy bar now at Walmart here is 80 cents each. Yes, I've noticed fabric has taken a jump in price too. With crime on the raise, I hope I don't hear about fabric stashes being stolen. Don't talk too loud about your stash, you don't know who is listening.[/quote]
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM

I've been hearing about the increase and will be shopping my stash. I'll only buy on sale from now on cause I just don't want to spend that much. My quilts are not for show so I use what I can afford just to enjoy the quilting process.
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
    JJs
    Banned

so is all that hopey/changy stuff workin' out for everybody?
    how about the oil "spill"? - more like an underwater oil volcano....

food prices up, fabric prices up, gas prices up, oh yea, postage up, hmmmmm ....taxes up, homeowners insurance outrageous here - it's DOUBLED since we moved here and we're 90 miles from the coast!
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm in Canada so really you have it much better! Batiks at the LQS are $17.99/m and other cottons are from $10-18

The store is actually have a sale right now that all fabrics are 10.99\m
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM

Perhaps we may need to browse Goodwill and SA frequently and go back to the old ways of using clothing for quilts. I have always been interested in making a quilt from ties. I could kick myself for giving away dad's ties.
    But I am learning to be more creative in the use of materials.
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by weatheread
    One of Our Local Walmarts quit selling Fabric I may just have to start using my presious Stash
    Yes, one of our local Walmart's stopped also. The fabric counter is still there, and a section of pre-cuts. That I don't like the feel of. They filled the space were the fabric was with a display of floral cemetary crosses - how appropriate!!!
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Hey Sew Dear! Suggestion= if you make your own kits up w/ your stash then have a friend or relative store it while you work on 2 or 3 other quilts. Make sure the pattern is in your kit. If they store it in a garage or damp area, put silica gel packs in the container. 40ft! Yikes!