Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Prices and Currency Exchange >
  • Fabric Prices and Currency Exchange

• Fabric Prices and Currency Exchange

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM

How many of you pay over $4.00 a gallon for milk? If you look at the prices we have to pay for just about anything we purchase these days it is astronomical compared to what we paid say 30 or so years ago and even 2 years ago. Eggs...$2.00, Three of four dollars for a pound of bacon and then bread plus orange juice. That's just breakfast folks.

All things are relative and today we pay more for everything than we ever believed we would have too. Remember when gas prices rose so high and everything we bought went up for the cost of transportation.

Sooooo for me, I try and find what I want on sale but if not I decide how much I truly want something and that makes the decision easy for me. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    All things are relative and today we pay more for everything than we ever believed we would have too. Remember when gas prices rose so high and everything we bought went up for the cost of transportation.
    Problem is when gas came back down, none of the goods did. =(
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Living in Spain the cost of fabric is not only astranomical its difficult to find. I have one shop within 20 Km. So I shop on line and always buy my fabric in the States.
    Here the fabric is 14 Euros a metre equates to 17.84$
    So if I buy my fabric at around 8.99$ a yd and pay shipping on line its still much cheaper for me and I usually buy loads at a time.

There is a site called XE Conversions.com and it gives you all the currency values if you ever want to check it out. The Euro go up and mostly down like a yo yo.

Elle
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bmanmommy
    Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Problem is when gas came back down, none of the goods did. =(
    You're absolutely right!
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Living in Spain the cost of fabric is not only astranomical its difficult to find. I have one shop within 20 Km. So I shop on line and always buy my fabric in the States.
    Here the fabric is 14 Euros a metre equates to 17.84$
    So if I buy my fabric at around 8.99$ a yd and pay shipping on line its still much cheaper for me and I usually buy loads at a time.

There is a site called XE Conversions.com and it gives you all the currency values if you ever want to check it out. The Euro go up and mostly down like a yo yo.

Elle
    Thanks for the link. I'm sure most of us that shop in the US live in the US. So we don't need to convert. I don't know of any of us that shop outside the US unless you're looking for a specific fabric not carried here. Do the websites automatically convert for you or do you have to figure it out before you place your order. Just wondering since I don't shop in a foreign currency. Just curious here so I thought I'd try to satisfy my curiosity and inform others if anyone else wants to know.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Some sites do, but usually I just take the Dollar price click the page down before I pay and look on the XE conversion site and that way I have a very near idea of what I am going to be paying

Elle
    Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Some sites do, but usually I just take the Dollar price click the page down before I pay and look on the XE conversion site and that way I have a very near idea of what I am going to be paying

Elle
    Sounds simple enough. Thanks!