Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric prices >
  • Fabric prices

• Fabric prices

Old 07-06-2024, 04:40 AM

Unfortunately I find the rising fabric prices right in line with the rising prices of everything else, it's the quality that is bothering me the most. It too seems right on line with the example explained in this thread, on packaging shrinkage
    Ice cream has not been a half gallon for a long time, canned goods ounces continuously shrink. Why wouldn't thread count shrink too with some brands? 😔 It's corporations meeting their bottom line. I feel fortunate that I can afford the groceries and a fulfilling hobby, as long as I'm careful with the budget for both, and have to except that I just get less for my money compared to the good old days.
    Old 07-06-2024, 06:23 AM

We went from fabric to groceries! I am way too picky to purchase jelly rolls. I carefully choose each piece of fabric that I pay, usually, more than $12/yard. Raising prices to discount has been around a long time. Kohl's is what comes to mind, but HL is also famous. "Sale" doesn't motivate me anymore. I look at the bottom line.

ok, one grocery store gripe:
    Kraft cheddar cheese went from 2/$5 to $3 each! Wish I had stocked up last week.

Last edited by aashley333; 07-06-2024 at 06:26 AM.
    Old 07-06-2024, 07:53 AM
    GGK

I agree with you completely! That is why I purchased yardage for my 2nd Wintersweet quilt. Those points on the precuts NEVER line up true to anything unless you trim them; easier to cut your own 2-1/2" strips. I actually purchased a jelly roll or white fabric (Moda) and the strips were ALL crooked and wonky, not straight. Lately, I have been using a zig-zag rotary cutting blade to ever so slightly trim my sewn pieces to keep the from fraying; no more loose threads. It actually cuts a slightly round scallop, not points; however, you have to be really careful to just barely trim the edges. Since I make really large quilts, I get tired of trimming frayed threads.
    Old 07-06-2024, 07:55 AM
    GGK

Oh...what I just posted might be confusing...I trim the seam allowance edges after I sew pieces together; I do not use the pinking blade to cut the quilt pieces before I quilt.
    Old 07-06-2024, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

I do splurge on fabric when I want it. I love Tilda fabric. I always buy Tilda quilt kits when the quilt shop has one.
    Old 07-06-2024, 11:04 AM
    GGK

Thank you; I had actually never heard of the 'Tilda' line; there are no quilt shops in my area other than one about 20+ miles away (bad collections of fabric). I just viewed Tilda's web site and really liked it (downloaded some free patterns, too). Can's wait to try some of their fabrics!
    Old 07-06-2024, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

All Tilda patterns are free. The price is so expensive for the fabric I'm glad something is free. LOL
    https://www.tildafabricusa.com/freetildapatterns
    Old 07-06-2024, 01:23 PM
    GGK

Pricey, but not too pricey. Most of the other quilting fabrics by other designers are running $13.99/yd. However, I am pretty certain that the Tilda line will have a better 'hand feel' to the fabric, than other fabric lines. As I stated before, I have found that only the fabrics being made in Japan or Korea have that smooth 'hand feel' now. Love Tilda's prints; I am wanting to make another more modern quilt. The last one I made was with Tula Pink's Zuma line.
    Old 07-06-2024, 03:00 PM

I can't imagine paying 13.99/yd for fabric. My previous quilts were made with fabric from Marshall Dry Goods. Very nice fabric as far as I'm concerned. Lots of lines under $6/yd. Named designers for $8/yd. I'm happy with their fabric and service. I've recently discovered Fabric Wholesale Direct. I bought canvas for a spaecial project, but they also have some quilting fabrics. I LOVE their African Prints (most 5.99/yd). I will probably get some soon for my next quilt. I have several LQS's in my area, but I just can't see paying "quilt store" prices for the fabrics. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are there, and I support them when I need notions or if they have a really good sale (not common), but their designer fabrics don't turn me on any more than the nice ones I can find online.
    Old 07-06-2024, 03:42 PM
    Power Poster

I live a couple hours away from Marshall's Dry Goods. I buy a lot of fabric there. They don't have the newest but have great prices on all the name brand fabrics. All fabric manufacture lines are there except Moda. Marshall's is a fabric distributor and has a retail side for customers. You can buy all MDG brand of fabric by the bolt at wholesale price but not other manufactures unless you have a tax number. I can say I have never had a MDG fabric bleed even the deepest reds, blues or purples.