Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric prices >
  • Fabric prices

• Fabric prices

Old 07-06-2024, 03:45 PM
    GGK

$$$$$...I hear you, which is why I am really trying to use up my stash fabric before purchasing any 'new' fabric. Most of what I purchase is to add to my stash collections (purchased over the years) for certain projects (sometimes I need an extra 1/4 to 1/2 yd). My go-to background is American Made Brand Fabrics from Clothworks - lite cream), which I purchase by the 15-yd. bolt at a low price per yd.
    However, I have found no fabric recently that feels nice to the hand the way fabrics used to feel. There are no quilt stores near me, so it's really hard for me to purchase when I cannot feel it and/or see the 'actual' fabric and what the true colors are. I hope to be making memory quilts from of my family members old clothing. Most of my stash (other than my new Fig Tree Christmas fabric) was purchased years ago, that's why it OOP and hard to find. However, blue/white quilts are my fave and I have a lot of prints in those colors (all Northcott, same blues). I was able to purchase 10 yds. of fabric for the back of my current quilt (needs 9-1/2 yds) from Michael's online for only $5.99/yd (also Northcott matches some of my fabrics).
    Old 07-06-2024, 04:42 PM

My latest quilt - all MDG's Quilters Blenders (similar to "Grunge") at 4.99/yd. (blocks are 12" x 9" - finished size 68.5 x 71.5)

No bleeding on the fabric. Backing is on-sale flannel from JoAnns's that I traded some MDG wide-back for with my partner.
    Attached Thumbnails img_20240625_154213813.jpg  
    Old 07-06-2024, 05:16 PM

sloscotty, that's a nice looking quilt.
    Old 07-06-2024, 08:07 PM

I too live about 2 hours away from Marshall's. Great fabric, great prices. Their off brand batting, not so much. It is so thin I have had to double it up to use in a quilt.
    Old 07-07-2024, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Most of my "new" clothes come from Thrift stores or estate sales. Good clothing for cheap. Fabric is a little harder to find, but sometimes I do. Recently found two of those suction handles for quilt rulers, too!
    A lot of my clothes are thrifted but the selection is not as it was. I think more people are buying thrifted clothes or possibly people are just wearing their clothes longer.
    Old 07-07-2024, 05:20 AM

We buy a lot of JoAnn Fabric for church donation quilts so I’m very familiar with their product and the variation of it. Recently I went to a LQS and bought everything I needed for a quilt for myself. When working on it, I honestly couldn’t see or feel the difference from that compared to JoAnns at roughly double the price.
    Old 07-07-2024, 06:27 AM
    GGK

Beautiful quilt!
    Old 07-07-2024, 11:30 AM
    GGK

? Has anyone ever printed their own fabric?
    My daughter and I wanted to make some 'Comfort of the Psalms' quilts; however, the fabric panels are small and pricey. Have any of you ever printed fabric through your ink jet printer before? I was thinking I could print the Scriptures we wanted to use and then trace over them with permanent black ink???
    Old 07-07-2024, 11:33 AM
    GGK

Just found this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMZd4p-IRw
    Anyone tried it before?
    Old 07-07-2024, 11:45 AM
    Power Poster

The new Brother fabric printer is very nice. The quilt shop here will print anything you want on fabric for a fair price. She prints a lot old fabric designs to repair vintage quilts. All you need it a few inches of the fabric to scan to get a reprint that looks like it. The pictures that are printed look amazing and of course text can be printed in any font and color. Prints are washable.