Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric quality at chain stores >
  • Fabric quality at chain stores

• Fabric quality at chain stores

Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM

I always buy good quality cotton fabric for my quilts. Not because Im a snob or the quilt police, but because I put alot of work into my quilts. I like to use patterns that are challenging, so that means more work. When it comes out of the washer and dryer I want it to look like it did when it went in. Purchasing good quality fabrics assures that.
    Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by clsurz
    Sub-par..... I won't buy from such stores unless I actually see a fabric that I can put my hand behind it and not see through the fabric.
    clsurz is actually right. I worked for House of Fabrics in the "old" days and most of the fabrics were seconds. I am very careful to check the quality of the fabric at the chain stores. You want to buy the best quality fabric if you are going to put all your time and effort into making a quilt, even for the dog !!!
    Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM

How do you know when something is seconds? And what exactly does seconds mean in the fabric world? The print is off? The colors aren't quite right?

And other than checking to see how opaque a fabric is, and that it feels good... any tips for selecting the good stuff when shopping at a chain? I haven't bought too much fabric from the chains yet (only been quilting a few months) but I did notice when I prewashed some flannels I bought from Hancock, the edges frayed much worse than flannels purchased at LQSs. The stuff from Hancock also seemed thinner, and pilled up quite a bit after multiple washings. And a few of the cottons I have worked with from Hancock and JoAnn seem to fray more easily.
    Old 10-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Believe it or not, some of the best flannel I've found, came from WalMart! I don't know whether or not they still carry it but it was called 'Super Flannel' and was much heavier than the regular stuff. I only saw it, in solids.
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 PM

I was in Jo'anns on Sunday. I did buy some Kona. The woman cutting asked my If I knew about the new quilt shop not too far from JA's. I said I was headed there next. It was interesting her next comment was ." the Keepsake fabris keep getting to be a lower quality every few months" she then said " I work her but now I won't buy most of the quilters fabrics".
    When even the staff is open about the loss of quality ... Inspect carefully.
    Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by romille
    How do you know when something is seconds? And what exactly does seconds mean in the fabric world? The print is off? The colors aren't quite right?

And other than checking to see how opaque a fabric is, and that it feels good... any tips for selecting the good stuff when shopping at a chain? I haven't bought too much fabric from the chains yet (only been quilting a few months) but I did notice when I prewashed some flannels I bought from Hancock, the edges frayed much worse than flannels purchased at LQSs. The stuff from Hancock also seemed thinner, and pilled up quite a bit after multiple washings. And a few of the cottons I have worked with from Hancock and JoAnn seem to fray more easily.
    I just bought several pieces of different flannels from Hancock's and had to return two of them due to flaws. I kept a third one with a flaw because the flaw probably wouldn't be noticeable to anyone but me. When I was there returning one of the pieces, another shopper held up a piece for me to look at and asked if I saw the flaw she saw. Their quality really seems to be suffering.
    Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM

I was surprised when we went out West done shopping in SD at Walmart they have a fabulous selection and good quality I even mentioned it to the man cutting my fabric that I was so amazed at the selection he said they have a big demand for fabric alot of their customers make their own clothing. I go by feel if I like the way it feels I get it. You even find inferior fabrics at the quilt stores.
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    I think of it this way: Each of us needs to shop differently, based on our own personal budgets. No quilt police allowed to judge what we use for our quilts UNLESS they want to buy the fabric for us.
    Thank you!!! To each their own...I'm not a fabric snob...I buy what I like, where I can find it. No judging!!
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM

I have purchased fabric from chain stores and have had very good results with it. Just make sure you check out the weight and type of fabric before you purchase it. It needs to be heavy enough that you can't see through it
    Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 AM

Forty years ago, when I first started quilting I did it all by hand and JoAnn's was the only place to purchase fabric where I lived. The quilts I made and put so much work into are still around, but they don't look too good. The fabric was sub-standard even then. I just didn't know it! I do still use those quilts for picnics and such, though. And I learned a lot before I realized there were much better quilt fabrics available.

Last edited by lockesnest; 10-22-2013 at 03:32 AM.