Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Quality >
  • Fabric Quality

• Fabric Quality

Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

Is the fabric suitable for what I want to use it for?

that is the first question that i ask myself when selecting fabric - or anything else, for that matter.

just about everything has "quality" - good, bad/poor, indifferent/so-so.

To a big extent, there is no substitute for experience. I have not figured out a shortcut to getting it.

I am in the wash all components possible before cutting them group. I am convinced this step is worth the extra effort to help get the result/look I prefer .

because I am old(er), I sort of roll my eyes when I see see a fabric described as "quilting cotton".

I would describe most "quilting cottons" as poor quality (low end) bed sheets. ( Comparatively low thread count, comparatively loosely woven to good/fine bedding.)

Last edited by bearisgray; 12-04-2020 at 05:24 AM.
    Old 12-04-2020, 06:21 AM
    Power Poster

I buy Moda and Art Gallery Fabrics almost exclusively. I've never had a bad fabric in the bunch.
    Old 12-04-2020, 06:50 AM

I am a touch and feel person when I buy quilt fabric and most clothing so I hope all stores never go away and it doesn't get to the point of all line buying. At my age I don't think I will see that happen-I hope.
    Old 12-05-2020, 06:26 AM

I also like to touch and feel fabric before purchasing it. I really like supporting quilt shops. I'm the same way with clothes, shoes, purses and thread. Colors looks much different on line. Quality makes a huge difference in purchasing any item. It is really hard for me to shop on line. I have, but not my favorite way to shop.
    Old 12-05-2020, 09:54 AM

JoAnn's has some decent fabrics, some very nice fabrics and some we won't mention - I will not purchase their fat quarters, for instance.
    Since you have already bought fabric, you have two options. Return it if you are concerned. Uncut, unwashed fabric can be returned - at least it could when I worked there in the 90s. I personally would not return less than a yard. Option two - my choice - would be to wash, dry and press the fabric and then make your decision whether it is quilt worthy. I have made some quilts that I feel are nice with fabric from JA or HL. I have one thin piece from HL in a quilt on the machine now. I had to have just that color - I am confident it will be all right once it's finished and quilted. It's sewing up nicely - no stretching or anything.
    Old 12-06-2020, 04:54 AM

I have purchased fabric from JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and many online retailers. I've also purchased fabric from quilt shops. Most of it has been fairly good quality. It has worked for what I've made, quilts, pillow cases, tote bags, etc. I hate to say it but the worse fabric came from quilt shops, at $14.00 a yard I expected better quality. It felt ok at the store but when I washed it I was shocked at how thin and wonky it was. I always prewash my fabric before I use it, I don't want any surprises after I've completed my project and it falls apart in the wash.
    Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 AM

Since I have RA, and can no longer drive because of it, I purchase fabric online. I pretty much stick to the well known brand name fabrics - MODA, Bernartex, Wilmington, etc., and haven't had any problems with them. I purchase from sites like Fabric.com.

Sometimes I'll buy from less well known sources - like Connecting Threads because I LOVED the print and it was at a great price. They design their own fabrics and I've only had a problem with their fabric once - after washing/drying it became very thin. I had to apply a lightweight interfacing to it before I felt it was acceptable (it was for a garment, not a quilt).

As with anything else, you can have great fabric as well as lemons, even with name brands. Wish I could still get to a fabric store in person but, with COVID right now it's just as well I don't.

Note: IMHO, Joann's used to be a good store but I feel their quality has gone down - anymore it's like the Walmart of the sewing world. I don't like purchasing anything from them nowadays.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:46 AM

I recently ordered fabric online from a quilt shop and I ordered 4 different ones and you can see a big difference from one fabric to the other fabric
    Old 12-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Go by feel, you can get quality and bad quality from anywhere. As long as you know what to look for you will be fine. I have gotten both from joanns. I just got a few nice quality from joanns to make stuffed. Nice drape, hardly any fraying when cut with scissors so it is possible. I have gotten some fabric that frayed like crazy from LQS. Keep in mind there will also always be fabric snobs out there. Don't always trust opinions. Ilike to see for myself
    Old 12-11-2020, 11:07 AM

If I am buying on line I buy from a vender I am familiar with. I have only had 2 bad cuts when I went to 2 venders I had not use earlier. I check for feel and smell when buying for LQS or JAF. I have only purchased 1x from Holly Lobby and the quality was "Okay". A little better than craft quality, ok for dress making but not quite what I want for a quilt.
    It take a bit of a while to get the "feel" for quilt quality fabrics. One fun thing is have a shopping day with a quilting buddy and check things out.