Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabricland >
  • Fabricland

• Fabricland

Old 06-30-2019, 02:25 PM

I don't shop there so much for quilting unless it's the spring sale - got bit a few years ago on a fabric that basically disintegrated over time. Didn't wear at all - except out!
    But for sewing fabrics... I don't know where else to go. If you want service - the clerks are pretty knowledgeable - I chose Fabricland over Len's Mill Stores every time.
    But I felt I made out pretty well for the batting packages. The quilting fabrics aren't marked down much at all - and the batiks aren't marked down at all. So far that is.
    Old 06-30-2019, 03:19 PM

Is Fabricland the same chain as Fabricville? I love the Fabricville in Fredericton, NB. I have been to the one in Moncton on their Black Friday sale day when everything was 50% off!
    Old 06-30-2019, 03:47 PM
    Power Poster

Not all Len’s Mills are created equal. If you are disappointed in one, try another for better prices and organization. Watch for their sales as well.
    Old 06-30-2019, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Not all Len’s Mills are created equal. If you are disappointed in one, try another for better prices and organization. Watch for their sales as well.
    True!!

..... another Len's tip .... if you see several bolts of the same fabric, same or different colours ....
    ... Do Not assume they are all the same price.

It's all based on when it arrives into the store and what price they paid.
    I have seen the same fabric with a huge price differential.
    I'm talking Northcotts, Fairy Frost and other better quality fabrics.

I used to be the nice guy and take the bolt with the least amount on it ...
    .... until one day I made this big discovery!
    Yikes!! Now, I haul them all off the shelf and check!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-01-2019 at 02:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 07-01-2019, 04:48 AM

Sad to hear that; but I've always suspected that most stores will 'jack up' the regular price to have a sale on it, so that it appears to we unsuspecting consumers that we're getting a great deal when instead of say 50 percent off it's probably only 10-25 percent and the store might not get as much profit but they sure aren't giving a real 50 percent off the price before they jacked it up. I usually just shop at my LQS but have so much I can shop in my own stash - as probably many of us can - unless I need something specific. And if i need it quickly, I'll go to Amazon cause my LQS it like 60 miles away; and I don't go that way very often, so is totally out of my way. Our 'hobby' is expensive enough without people adding to it by overpricing their items when they have a sale so they think they can 'fool' us that we're getting this great deal (not).
    Old 07-01-2019, 05:55 AM

What happens if one of us sends you fabric from the US? are there high taxes on the Canadian side?
    Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    What happens if one of us sends you fabric from the US? are there high taxes on the Canadian side?
    Lady Diana ... Sometimes it can get hit with customs $. Same as when we send to the USA.
    Worse, to me, shipping/mailing $ pretty much nixes the delight in any lower purchase price.
    Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 AM

I live in a city with population over 100 000 and for some reason we can’t keep an LQS in business. Several have tried. Fabricland is the only show in town. I will travel to smaller communities in our area before I will shop at Fabricland. It puzzles me why there are several viable quilt shops all over the province but we can’t have even one in a city our size.

I used to order fabric from the US fairly often and never once paid a customs fee. A friend from US sent me some fabric last month. She put ‘gift’ on the customs form and it came through with no customs charge.

Sew Sisters in Toronto has reasonable prices and will ship orders over $100 with free shipping so that works best for me.
    Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM

You are absolutely spot on with your assessment of Fabricland, Cattitude! I've noticed a number of things that were "on sale" but cost more than the regular price at an LQS.

The only time I go there these days is for any notions that I haven't been able to find at the quilt shops.

I will occasionally order online, trying first to find what I want with any Canadian retailers and then American ones.

Sometimes paying American prices, I pay less than Canadian even after the exchange rate and shipping costs are factored in. I have yet to pay duty for anything coming from the U.S. - fingers crossed that my luck continues!
    Old 07-01-2019, 10:20 AM

I haven't been to a Fabricland in maybe 20 years. I haven't been across the boarder to Windsor in that long either. I only shop any more at Joann if I have a coupon that makes the difference. Last week I purchased 45 yards of 108" unbleached muslin because there was a coupon for 60% off regular price plus a 20% of entire purchase. I couldn't match it in the LQS. I called before making the trip to the LQS since JAF is so much closer. Fabricland was nice back when I was there last only because the rate of exchange was better so I got more bang for my USA dollars.