• Main
  • False Praise >
  • False Praise

• False Praise

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Amen sister! What one finds displeasing to the eye, another might find quite lovely, unique or original. So I always find something nice to say even if it's not my cup of tea. It's just good manners.
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM

"Being positive and encouraging is essential,"
    but damning with faint praise is harmful"

i agree with the above points;
    you need to know when to keep QUIET in order to accomplish that first statement!!!!
    the second part of that statement is to be avoided, b/c as you say, it is HARMFUL!
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Well, in person, things can be said gently, gauging the reaction of the quilt maker, to encourage and guide; or one may be able to see that even honest, gentle, constructive criticism will squash the budding artist, and thus only offer honest praise for what IS right. But online, even totally correct and kindly-phrased criticism can hurt and discourage. Tone, circumstances, so much cannot be conveyed online, so unless someone is asking for an opinion or frank assessment, I either praise what I honestly like, or move on without comment. I LOVE that this board is warm, kind, friendly, and non-judgmental 99.9% of the time. Other boards are not always so, and it's a shame. Let's protect what we are so fortunate to have here.
    You said what I think!!
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobo2000
    If I can't find something to compliment, I don't say anything.
    Same here.
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM

I like the comments I am reading on this thread. When people take the time to post pictures, it is because they are excited! I, personally, can only encourage that. Quilting is not just about the end result, it is a process, a hobby, a passion, a kindness to be shared. Quilters are by nature generous, kind, loving, thoughtful, encouraging people. A kind word never hurt anyone....
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    I believe that those who post on the QB have given their best. I'm proud for them that they are doing what they love. If they ask how it could be better then offer suggestions otherwise I give them encouragement. It took me a while to realize that I don't have to comment at all. It is better praise or say nothing than point out errors. Just my opinion:) Happy Quilting:thumbup:
    Well said erstan947 and I agree with you.
    Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

Don't give "false" praise. If you can't see something praiseworthy (even amid the mistakes) then just leave it alone. But let your praise be genuine if given.
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM

When I first started working at a LQS (don't work there now) I was the only one who liked country quilts. Everyone else liked bright, bold, loud quilts. In good fun we’d laugh and joke with each other about our different tastes. They’d yawn at my quilts and I’d put my sunglasses on to look at theirs. Then I converted to a bright, bold quilter but still like quieter ones too. They also came to appreciate country and plaid quilts.

It takes time for a quilter to learn and grow. Tastes change. I believe if they like what they have done and are happy with their quilt that is all that matters. If they are pointing out a flaw and specifically asking for help to improve or stop a mistake from happening again then giving them guidance tactfully is good.
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
    I like the comments I am reading on this thread. When people take the time to post pictures, it is because they are excited! I, personally, can only encourage that. Quilting is not just about the end result, it is a process, a hobby, a passion, a kindness to be shared. Quilters are by nature generous, kind, loving, thoughtful, encouraging people. A kind word never hurt anyone....
    I think you are right on about why people post, and how and why people respond to a posted picture.

I hope that most people know their relative technical skill and design sense. Some quilters may be pleased with their level of competence and some may be on a journey to self-improvement.

If we are asked for help, and we can give it, great. If someone wants affirmation and we can give an attagirl or find something to praise, great. If someone is frustrated by a project and we can give a pep talk or a pick-me-up or a little sympathy, great. If someone wants a critique, and we can offer positive suggestions for improvement, great. By and large, we on this board do just that, over and over and over again, for hundreds of quilters who post pictures, and that is why so many people like to post their pictures!
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
    This is a very interesting thread and I liked all comments and can see all sides of the issue. As a teacher of young children, I always pointed out what they did correctly, NOT what they did wrong. That way they can build on the good. That being said, I also think it is wrong to praise for shoddy work - how will we ever learn? maybe showing how we can make it "even better" puts a more positive spin on a gentle critique.
    Totally agree...I like the journey where the learning and experiences take place. I love the process from my first quilt to the challenge of my latest one and love this board which has helped me become a better and more confident quilter.