Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Family Tree Quilt >
  • Family Tree Quilt

• Family Tree Quilt

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ljorange
    My problem is that a photo, name and date of birth would be fine but then I'd want to put country, occupation, military, death, stories, etc., etc., etc. It would end up being the biggest quilt ever made. Or if I made one for each generation or each branch I'd have to make them for the next 50 years and I think I may run out of time...it wears me out thinking about it! Just thinking about genealogy turns into a maze of thoughts that never ends.
    I hear you - maybe not such a good idea for me to tackle this one.
    Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Originally Posted by ljorange
    My problem is that a photo, name and date of birth would be fine but then I'd want to put country, occupation, military, death, stories, etc., etc., etc. It would end up being the biggest quilt ever made. Or if I made one for each generation or each branch I'd have to make them for the next 50 years and I think I may run out of time...it wears me out thinking about it! Just thinking about genealogy turns into a maze of thoughts that never ends.
    Hmmm, perhaps a leaf with a photo on it that you could lift up and have all the other information behind it...could be several layers of information which would make for a cool 3-dimensional element on the quilt.
    That IS a good idea...hmmmmmmmmmm
    Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dawnfrancis
    I'm looking to borrow some creativity from this board. I was asked to make a quilt for my DH's family reunion in 6 months. They asked for a family tree quilt. This tree would include nearly 80 names, so I want to keep the quilt fairly simple. I've done some web searches and gotten lots of ideas. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a similiar project? Or have any tips/suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks,
    Dawn Francis
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did one for a family reunion silent auction but didn't do nearly that many names, just names of my aunts and uncles. Also did one like it for my Mom with my siblings (10 of them) and their spouses.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-154115.jpe  
    Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
    I'm looking to borrow some creativity from this board. I was asked to make a quilt for my DH's family reunion in 6 months. They asked for a family tree quilt. This tree would include nearly 80 names, so I want to keep the quilt fairly simple. I've done some web searches and gotten lots of ideas. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a similiar project? Or have any tips/suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks,
    Dawn Francis
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Very cute idea. Like it. Simple but meaningful.

I did one for a family reunion silent auction but didn't do nearly that many names, just names of my aunts and uncles. Also did one like it for my Mom with my siblings (10 of them) and their spouses.
    Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks,
    Dawn Francis
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a work in progress of our family tree. The roots are my grandparents on both sides. The trunk is my parents. 12 branches are my siblings and I small branches are out children and the leaves are our grandchildren. Some have great grandchildren and I am not sure how I will include them. I am embroidering the names on the roots, trunk, branches and leaves which are appliqued onto a background. Unfortunately since it is something I want to do for me, it takes a backseat to many ther things I am making.
    Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 AM

ChrisB I like the one you did for the family reunion.
    Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks.
    Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM

I used a Family Tree Panel from Benatrex. I have completed finished the entire quilt, but, I'm working on it!! Although I had to purchase two panels to get enough name tags. I guess you could just applique your own ovals and make them smaller. This might sound like a lot of work, but I used "photo fabric" and printed out the names/dates. Then appliqued that into the ovals, and appliqued the ovals all over the tree. I will post you a picture of my tree over the weekend. Put I loved this kit. what I "plan" to do to complete the quilt is put the pictures around the panel with the "Window" affect and hopefully...whoola..I have a complted family quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-155478.gif   attachment-155479.gif   attachment-155480.jpe  
    Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Here's a picture of the first one that I did for my 80 year old Uncle. I am working on another one that I hope is an improvement over this one.

This was one of my first quilts and actually the one that got me really hooked on quilting and making blankets
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]155491[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-155486.jpe  
    Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 PM

Nice work on both! I find sorting out the ideas a bit daunting for mine but inspiration found here helps! Thanks for posting pictures.