Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fat quarter baskets >
  • Fat quarter baskets

• Fat quarter baskets

Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

If I saw baskets with folded and rolled it would not bother me at all. I would just think that different people had made the contributions. Go the way of the river. Water always takes the path of least resistance.
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks, everyone. I read the first few comments and started folding them. Turns out it is way quicker than the rolling and putting rubber bands on them. I have made two baskets....and though I like more in them, they look pretty good. I am going to abide by what the committee suggested, though I think I will let some one else do this the next time.

Dina
    Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM
    Power Poster

Dina ... I know you are already in progress of preparing the baskets! Good for you!

What a great idea for your Guild to donate from their personal stashes.
    Do you try to coordinate the fabrics, as you assemble each FQ basket?

Adding to the comments, IMHO folded FQs will look like there is more, than rolled.

One of the LQS' here has both ... I always gravitate towards the foldeds, as I can get a better look at what the colour/pattern of each is.
    Plus, the different fabrics whill show better by staggering the folded pieces within your baskets, than with a bunch of rolls side by side.

As for the FQ numbers ... it's a prize, Ladies ... don't fret so!
    I'd be pretty darned thrilled if I won no matter how many.
    The count of 20, 40, 60, 75 or 100 ... is still a nice windfall!
    Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I have been rolling the fat quarters and putting a rubber band around them.
    Thanks for any opinions? Dina
    I would have a huge problem with the rubber bands. You and I might know enough to NOT store the piece with the rubber band on it. But others might not know what happens to rubber bands when they get old. It has happened at my house. It is not a pretty sight.
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 AM

I like the rolled ones for presentation and that is what sells. I would go with the 40 fat quarters and roll them. I would then put a rubber band on the lower third of the roll and make the tops open or fold them down to look little more like a flower and put in the basket! Sounds kind of fun to play with....hmmmmm, Christmas gift from Santa!
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 AM

That's a very nice contribution of you to do this work for the guild and I'm glad you found the easiest way for you to do it was also the way it seems people like it best.
    I'm sure the winner will be thrilled!

Watson
    Old 06-28-2017, 07:20 PM

Since some are already folded, I would put those in a basket. Then you can roll others for another basket if that is the way you like doing it. That way you don't have to undo all those that are folded.
    Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM

This is Dina's third year doing fat quarter baskets for our quilt show. She always does an amazing job with lots of fat quarters and clever displays.

To answer some of the questions, the fat quarter baskets are part of our ticket sale items. We have a multitude of quilt-related items (rulers, cutters, templates, patterns, etc.) laid out on the table along with the fat quarters. Each item has a Mason Jar with it. People put tickets in the jar of the items they hope to win. At the end of the day, one ticket is drawn from each Mason Jar and the owner of that ticket wins the item. Tickets are $5 for 25 tickets. You choose which items and how many tickets you want to enter.

Thank you, Dina, for another great job!
    Old 06-29-2017, 03:43 AM
    KR

Eye appeal will "sell" the baskets.

Why not do a little shop hopping to see how quilt shops market their FQs? Think you'll find lots of ways to fold a FQ, even within one shop.
    Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    Altho folded ones may be easier to store, this is about presentation. I would think that rolled ones put upright in a basket could be made to look like flowers, especially if you strategically place the colours. Wow what a prize! Where can I get my tickets?!?
    agree with this assessment. while I prefer my own to be flat - in your situation I think that the rolled ones would be better, especially if you're going to put them in actual baskets. If you choose folded - put them in a box or stacked like we buy them and tied with a ribbon or selvedge.