Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fat quilts for "fluffy" people >
  • Fat quilts for "fluffy" people

• Fat quilts for "fluffy" people

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM

Gained this week...so disappointing. I know I have to start exorsizing more but it's even harder now that winter has arrived. But, no excuses. Only I can take this weight off and I will!
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Christina I used to live in Hanford, lived there for 20yrs. Hanford is about 30 to 40 miles south west of Fresno. I have live in multiple cities in Ca. while growing up. Firebaugh, Chowchilla, Kettleman City, Avenal, Livingston and then Hanford. We did spend 4 years in Okla. when I was a teenager.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Starting now, I agree. Now I will read the rest of this post!
    Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    wvdek, I'm in school too an I know what you mean! 3 more weeks and then finals and then I get three weeks off. Woo!

quilting nana, I'm glad you're doing ok!

cjomomma, where did you used to live in CA? I'm a Los Angeles native. :)

So for the past two days I actually went to the gym. I'm so proud of myself! I did a beginners Zumba class on Saturday and then yesterday I walked for 20 min. on the treadmill. I'm going to go again today. Now if only I can get my eating under control. lol
    You can do it. Just make up you mind and remember one day at a time.
    Thanks the good wishes. Today the black and blue is down to below my nose. But it is getting a lighter blue.
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Christina I used to live in Hanford, lived there for 20yrs. Hanford is about 30 to 40 miles south west of Fresno. I have live in multiple cities in Ca. while growing up. Firebaugh, Chowchilla, Kettleman City, Avenal, Livingston and then Hanford. We did spend 4 years in Okla. when I was a teenager.
    Were one of your parents in the military? I lived in the same house my parents bought when I was 6 months old until I was 23 years old. My parents still live there! It's in a small community called Lennox that is right smack next to LAX airport. When I was 23 DH and I moved to Culver City then we moved to the Miracle Mile District. We moved here to Oregon about 5 years ago looking for a simple country life. :)
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana

Thanks the good wishes. Today the black and blue is down to below my nose. But it is getting a lighter blue.
    It's true, just one day at a time. I think it's easier for me to focus on the exercise than the food because I'm adding to my daily routine, not taking away. I read this great article yesterday that basically said that if you deprive yourself, in a diet or with your money, then you'll end up binging. The author said the key was to change your mindset. Instead of saying, "I can't eat this candy bar," and feeling sad about it, I should say, "I choose not to eat this candy bar because I want to be healthier." The choice itself is what makes you feel not deprived. I thought it was an interesting theory, one that I just might try.
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana

It's true, just one day at a time. I think it's easier for me to focus on the exercise than the food because I'm adding to my daily routine, not taking away. I read this great article yesterday that basically said that if you deprive yourself, in a diet or with your money, then you'll end up binging. The author said the key was to change your mindset. Instead of saying, "I can't eat this candy bar," and feeling sad about it, I should say, "I choose not to eat this candy bar because I want to be healthier." The choice itself is what makes you feel not deprived. I thought it was an interesting theory, one that I just might try.
    I have found that you do not need to deprive your self of anything. If you want a candy bar you can. Go out and buy the bite size. But you have to remember that you ate that piece of candy and make sure you eat less later. It is all about portion sizes. You will be surprised at how little it takes to fill yourself up. I was raised that I need to clean my plate. I can't seem to get over that so I use a much smaller plate and take very small portions. I also try to take small bites. It seems to work for me.
    Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

My first weigh in since I started thinking about my latest weight loss endeavor. I only lost a pound, but I also lost an inch from my waist. I feel better - more in control of several facets of my life - so I'm not giving up. If it takes 25 weeks, then I have more time to collect my fabrics. I have to count inches, too, because my quilt has 49 squares and I need to lose 25 pounds. 2 down and ? to go!

Thank you to this thread for an incentive.
    Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

JudeWill, How about a nine-patch block with the picture in the center block? Make the 9-patch big enough so the squares are big enough for a picture.

As for me....
    I am borderline diabetic (type 2) so losing weight along with the exercise needed will be the thing I need to stave off this terrible disease. I want to lose about 15 pounds. I'm 5'1" just turned 67 and I feel comfortable at about 130 - 135 pounds. So here I go!

I have a book with 6" blocks in it so I think I will do those (different blocks, different fabrics) and make a yo-yo for every pound I gain back. Will have to figure out how I will use those on my quilt.....or not...maybe I won't go backwards....although the holidays are coming up!!!

You guys are the best! and so funny too! I love you!!

comforable
    Originally Posted by JudeWill
    Originally Posted by lauriejo
    Boy are there lots of good ideas for blocks on this thread, ya'll are a funny group. How many are going to do this but not the weight loss challenge? It is a lot of fun, and lots of encouragement too.
    I did the weight loss challenge for a while, but frankly, I got tired of giving away my fqs. I think I wouldn't have any left by now! ;) Something happens to my mind when I set myself in a "have to" mode and I gain unstead of lose. I do much better if I just concentrate on doing the things I need to do to get healthy. Then the weight comes slowly off. I love this idea, tho. I have so much to lose, I may try a block for every five pounds. Work slowly on the block, like add a piece for every 1/2 lb. lost. Might try that. I think I will try to work out a block with a small photo of each of my kids & grandkids in it. Any ideas of what block would work?
    Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Were one of your parents in the military? I lived in the same house my parents bought when I was 6 months old until I was 23 years old. My parents still live there! It's in a small community called Lennox that is right smack next to LAX airport. When I was 23 DH and I moved to Culver City then we moved to the Miracle Mile District. We moved here to Oregon about 5 years ago looking for a simple country life. :)
    You would think so but no noone was in the military. My parents would get bored and decide it was time to move to a new city. I discovered thier parents were the same way.
    I was surprised my folks stayed in Hanford for 20 years. I refuse to move my kids around like that because it sure made a mess of me always having to adjust and make new friends. My Dh says I have attachment issues or unattachmant issues, not sure which would be the right way to say it. I can pack my home in a matter of days and move and never look back. As I get older I long for friends to sit and chat with, maybe that is why I am on here so much.