Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Favorite Quilting Magazine? >
  • Favorite Quilting Magazine?

• Favorite Quilting Magazine?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM

I made the sunbonnet sue and the fishing boy out of their magazine. both were in the sitting position. I combined both figures into a baby quilt. the parents didn't know if it was a boy or girl. I quilted a heart in between the two figures when they were sitting feet to feet.

I got a subscription to Quilters World last Christmas and really tend to find more in it that I like than Am Patchwork. Am Patchwork has a lot of art quilts like Quilter's Newsletter. It used to be more applique than it is now.
    Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

My 2 favorites are: Quilters Companion (from Australia), and Australian Patchwork & Quilting.

I view Quilters Companion as the top of the line. They publish every 2 or 3 months - but I just drool over each issue. It's a combination of the pattern and accompanying story. Of course tips and tricks too.

An example of its contents can be found here:
    http://www.completecraft.com.au/next_issue?cid=12525

AP&Q publish monthly. They are a combination of easy through to challenging quilts. AP&Q example can be found at this address, at the bottom of the page:
    http://www.apqmagazine.com.au/

I no longer purchase magazines on a regular basis. I have too many now, and need to down size. So... I'm be going through my magazines, removing the patterns I like - then putting them into plastic sleeves in a folder.

Like many my income has been "reprioritized".

I also found that I used the photos in the magazines as inspiration - but you can get lots and lots of inspiration off the web.

Hope that helps.
    Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 PM

I love McCalls Quick Quilts because most of the projects are ones I would make. Most are not really difficult and a lot of them are "doable" in just a few days.
    Old 04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
    Gal

I do not have much choice where I live but my local library has lots of Australian Patchwork and Quilting Mags which I have copied patterns from, the NZ quilting mag is not really my style, but my 'special' mags are a pile my hubby bought me years and years ago from an op shop, ( I have about 30 of them from the 70's and 80's) ) they are Quilters News Letter from USA, they are full of patterns and tips and are more to my liking style wise, I have read them dozens of times over the years and the patterns are beautiful mostly older traditional styles. I would never part with them!!!!!!

Gal
    Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Don't think that I have met a quilt magazine that I didn't like. Consider asking for a subscription as a Mother's Day, birthday, or Christmas gift. They never know what to buy us, we get to think fondly of them every time an issue arrives, and best of all, we can walk by the newsstand without the temptation.
    Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM

I like Fons and Porter easy to understand. I also browse the magazines and if there is something that I like I get just that one issue.
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Hi! I want to splurge and get a subscrption to a quilting magazine...but NO IDEA which one!
    Could you please tell me your favorite and WHY?
    Thank you in advance!
    I subscribe to Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine. But whenever I have a few dollars, or a good coupon, I go to the local bookstore and buy something off the rack. I flip through them all and buy the one or ones, where I would definitely make something. It's hard to narrow it down to a few, which is why I am glad my guild sells used magazines at our meeting - 6 for $1.00. If I don't like any, I bring them back and they resell them!
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM

I take Fons and Porter, McCalls, American Patchowrk and Quilting, and Quiltmaker, I have a hard time choosing my favorite, I think they are all informatie and I can usually find quilt patterns I like in all of them. Of course it is amtter of persoonal preference, and you should look at all of them to see what suits you at the stage you are in now. Good Luck!
    Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 PM

I like Quick Quilts and McCalls.. I won't buy Fons and Porters magazine because they have that plastic on the books and you can't see what patterns you are buying. I'll look at a book in the store and if I see a pattern I would like to make out of that book,then I'll buy it.
    Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Quiltmaker