Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fear of applique >
  • Fear of applique

• Fear of applique

Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM

I really haven't done a lot of appliqué work and I would like to start but I feel so intimidated by it. I have done appliqué with fusible web stuff and I have done it when you cut out the piece, sew around it and then turn it inside out (I am not sure what the name of it is), but I just bought a pattern that calls for freezer paper and turning the material under. That's the one that really gets me. What is the difference between them all? Do they all look them same when they are completed?
    Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM

There are many ways to do it, you just need to find the method that is most comfortable for you. I personally love the freezer paper finger press method. Some use a method with a glue stick, (Like author Linda Poole), but I hated the method myself. Yes, they all look the same when they are done, it's just how you feel the most comfortable! Give it a try, I personally love doing applique!
    Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Did you see Connecting Threads tut on this technique? It is here http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...itch__D53.html

I took a class a few weeks back (we used the glue stick method to turn under) and I thought it wasn't that hard, and I am a beginner. I'd say do your research and go for it!
    Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Daisygirl

I'm just doing my first machine applique in almost 25 years and having much more modern machine, I'm having fun with built-in decorative stitches. First time using freezer paper but that is only for shaping the leaves and motifs before placing on background, it is removed before stitching down.

Herewith project I've been working on for last 10 days
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-102974.jpe  
    Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Very nice. Your applique looks so good.Had you used the freezer paper before?
    Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Nice job, Ada shiela. I hope mine comes out that good.
    Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
    Power Poster

you know it does not matter what method you use for your applique, it is all still applique,so if you've done fusable and foundation applique you are good, some people really don't like hand work so never try needle turn applique (where you make freezer paper templates) so it is nothing to be intimidated about :) if you like hand work jump in and give needle turn a try, if you prefer machine applique then trace your patterns without adding the turn under allowance and use fuseable or foundation, it does not mean you are not an appliquer :)
    Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
    Power Poster

My favorite applique method is freezer paper with the edges turned under. I learned how to do it from one of Harriet Hargrave's books. She uses a glue stick, but I find it much easier to use school paste (the old-fashioned kind that smells like peppermint). Here is a link to a newer edition of the book I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach.../dp/157120136X

She does a really good job of explaining different methods of applique step-by-step with lots of photos.
    Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
    Power Poster

I love hand applique!!! You really should give it a try. I like the freezer paper method.
    Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Hello Justme2, No, I hadn't used freezer paper before, but it made it so easy to shape the petals and leaves, just took a little while to decide when it was easiest to remove the paper before it got stuck too fast without needing to be almost scraped off - Little scalpel knife from Cake Decorating days came in handy. Thanks for reply