• Main
  • Are Feathers Over Done? >
  • Are Feathers Over Done?

• Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    Wow, don't you love how passionate we quilters are??? We all love our craft - and we all love our quilts.

As a longarm quilter, I use feathers occasionally. It took a few years of testing and trying to get just the look I wanted without too much quilting; the overquilting and double stitching and bump-back and double stems/filled stems is just not to my taste. I've found the technique I like now, and have used it on a couple of quilts with lots of open space. I chalk the spine but don't stitch it, and I leave a small space between the feathers.

My husband requested feathers for his own quilt that my girls and I made for him, and it suits the quilt perfectly. He loves it--enough said. I also used it in my tree skirt, because, frankly, I liked the look, and couldn't figure out how to quilt holly leaves and make it look as nice. http://www.quiltscapesquilting.com/patterns

Shivers go up and down my spine when a client asks me to do an overall pattern on applique' quilts, or motifs - I talk them out of it... The quilting is just there to add texture and bring the design of the quilt to life. If someone tells me to quilt it however I want to, I take clues from the design of the quilt, how it will be used, who it is for, and then I let the fabric and the quilt speak to me. (I hear quilts...)

So, at the risk of being shunned...
    Well I for one won't shun you Deonn - those are fabulous, especially the Carpenter's Star. Thank you for showing how beautiful and fairly dense FMQ feathers can be used on a snuggly quilt. Beauty and usefulness in perfect harmony. :-D

Deonn, I would never shun you either. You quilting is well thought out and beautiful and you clearly show that quilts fully quilted are NOT stiff.....try experimenting people....the batting makes the difference!
    Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Uh, Oh! I DON'T like Chilli, so I guess I am in trouble now!lol
    Now you're just offending all of us chilli lovers! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    And don't you just love 'trouble-makers'?
    Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
    Uh, Oh! I DON'T like Chilli, so I guess I am in trouble now!lol
    Now you're just offending all of us chilli lovers! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    And don't you just love 'trouble-makers'?
    :XD:
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 AM

I think it should be up to the person that does the piecing and perhaps a suggestion from the quilter about how it should be quilted. If they want feathers, let them have feathers. Everyone is not the same in what they like and don't like.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 AM

Shivers go up and down my spine when a client asks me to do an overall pattern on applique' quilts, or motifs - I talk them out of it... The quilting is just there to add texture and bring the design of the quilt to life. If someone tells me to quilt it however I want to, I take clues from the design of the quilt, how it will be used, who it is for, and then I let the fabric and the quilt speak to me. (I hear quilts...)

Your quilts are beautiful! :)

On many old quilts, the stitching was only used to hold the sandwich together and not follow the design.

Take the example of the Baptist Fan design or crosshatching.

In this quilt, I did with hand-quilted Baptist Fans which had nothing to do with the quilt pattern...it was merely a way to hold the sandwich together...but I liked the effect of letting the quilt pattern show through and the hand quilting fade into the background.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-255936.jpe   attachment-255937.jpe  
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM

Gorgeous! I have a carpenters star going on my frame very soon. have to finish one for my future DIL first. I love your feathers and I do mine very similar, but will be trying different styles of feathers down the road. Beautiful job.

Wow, don't you love how passionate we quilters are??? We all love our craft - and we all love our quilts.

As a longarm quilter, I use feathers occasionally. It took a few years of testing and trying to get just the look I wanted without too much quilting; the overquilting and double stitching and bump-back and double stems/filled stems is just not to my taste. I've found the technique I like now, and have used it on a couple of quilts with lots of open space. I chalk the spine but don't stitch it, and I leave a small space between the feathers.

My husband requested feathers for his own quilt that my girls and I made for him, and it suits the quilt perfectly. He loves it--enough said. I also used it in my tree skirt, because, frankly, I liked the look, and couldn't figure out how to quilt holly leaves and make it look as nice. http://www.quiltscapesquilting.com/patterns

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 AM

This is beautiful as well. I love hand quilting too. Sorry, this was meant for Loretta's hand quilted quilt.
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I love the feathers but they are not for every quilt! Still they are my favorite quilting design but love everything that Charisima does!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by grammysharon
    I love the feathers but they are not for every quilt! Still they are my favorite quilting design but love everything that Charisima does!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Yep, I agree, she is fantastic. Im one of her biggest fans :)
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM

I agree. I see many other quilting motifs that I would love to see more of.